Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Turp followed by radiation therapy, especially proton?

William, please read Terry's posts very carefully. His prognosis was far worse than yours, or mine was, and he watched and waited for many years.

I had TURP at age 60 during which a biopsy was done and small (insignificant?) cancer was found in approximately similar amounts to yours. I later had robotic prostatectomy which was not completely successful because of the prior TURP.

The TURP itself was expertly done and actually improved my sex life because it removed all inflamation caused by obstruction and the surgeon preserved ejaculation. But however good the TURP was it fouled up later surgery.

If, I stress IF, you do decide on treatment, you should seek a second opinion other than from a radiologist, since it MIGHT be better in that case to have the prostate removed, rather than first have it bored out and then have it hit with other treatment.

But my opinion is that if I were you I would explore every medical way of improving my flow rate without any intervention to treat the cancer yet (which might not even be cancer!) and without having a TURP yet. I would actively watch things by having DRE and sophisticated MRI and Ultra Sound scans and watching the PSA movement and trajectory.

I am a guy who has had a TURP and a prostatectomy, yet still has enough prostate left to produce 0.42 PSA. So after all that - I am actually still doing watchful waiting! My new uro, who is a leading HIFU expert in the UK, says he thinks this is what I could have been doing all along.

Good luck and take your time.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS