Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ride for a cure

I'm thinking about putting together a Harley Ride for for a cure/Prosate caner
My Husband is a rider, love his bike I always said it is the other women.
I'm thinking about end of Oct
I have never done anything like this
but so many men ride & so many men have this cancer
I though why not.
We live in Chicago anyone have any thoughts on this that could help with how I should put it together,or would be interested in just showing up fo A Ride To A Cure.
email me

Re: Ride for a cure

I think you have a great idea, even if no money were raised, it raises awareness and guys will share there information (even if limited) about such, dialogue, discussion, starts motion, motion gets guys tested or aware of why they should be tested. You might make the local news and that adds to awareness. The women know how promote breast cancer awareness and do a good job at it.

Lots of possibilities on this you could contact www.ustoo.org (national support group) they are in the know for how to promote probably just this idea.

Kudos to you my lady.

Joyce ... if you're bar people, just go to your favorite watering hole and discuss this with the owner.

Poker runs are popular. Start the ride at your favorite bar and end up there after visiting three other bars in the area. Each participant gets a poker card at each stop and the best poker hand wins.

Put a group of friends together, go to different businesses asking for donations (doesn't have to be expensive stuff, just lots of it). Sell tickets and raffle the stuff off at the end of the run, during the "party".

Don't limit the participants to bikers only ... any vehicle should be welcome.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a good DJ or local band that would donate their time/equipment for entertainment/dancing.

The last one I attended down here, the DJ worked for tips only and ended up donating them also.

We have a couple of these a month (sometimes) down here in Florida and they're always successful. It's nothing to raise $2000 to $5000 (or more).

These "runs" for a worthy cause (and this cause is certainly worthy) bring out the best in people who don't mind giving whatever they can.

If you need more information, email me at simm4248@bellsouth.net.

Good luck.

I would definitely be interested. You mentioned you ride Harleys, and Chicago is not far from Milwaukie, the home of Harley Davidson. Are you a member of a HOG chapter? Most chapters look for any reason to ride and they are a large consumer group. They focus a lot of rides towards breast cancer and toys for tots, why not prostate cancer? With a lot of leg work it could even become a national ride.

Re: Re: Ride for a cure

my husband is a hog menber, I think I'm going to try & go dircely to Harley's PR, why not
it only makes common sence so many men have this, the more I learn, the more i find out more men get prosate cancer then women get breast caner, by no means am I down playing any cancer, Harley is a guy thing well mostly anyway, so it makes sence to run it past them
My daughter works in PR, next week she is going to draw up a letter for me & I will take it from there.
this is all new to be never did any fund raiser before
I hope I can get this going my husband has no idea, i would love to this for him !
Thanks
Joyce

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS