Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Foods That Fight Cancer

Everyone may know these already but I thought I'd post them just in case. I found them from a link on the MSN Homepage this morning that talked about cancer fighting foods. I'll post the entire text for three of them that I found interesting and put a link to the entire slide show below.

The Stranger

Find your whey

Not since lycopene landed in our lives has there been a more promising prostate-cancer-fighting nutrient than whey protein. In a recent Ohio State University study, researchers treated human prostate cells with whey protein and then measured the cells' levels of a natural cancer-blocking compound called glutathione.

The finding: Glutathione levels rose by a remarkable 64 percent. "Whey is a great source of the amino acid cysteine, and cysteine can become glutathione in the body," explains Rosemary L. Walzem, R.D., Ph.D., director of the Center for Nutrition, Health, and Food Genomics at Texas A&M University.

One of the best sources of whey is yogurt; a lot of the protein is in the clear liquid on top, so don't pour it off. You can also pick up powdered whey-protein isolate—vanilla-flavored—and add it to instant oatmeal.

Berry yourself alive

Make every day Thanksgiving and you could slash your risk of several different cancers. Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles have confirmed that cranberries contain a trove of tumor-blocking compounds, including phenolic acids, glycosides, and anthocyanins.

These phytochemicals are effective at preventing cancer down below—in the colon and prostate—as well as up top—on the head and neck. "They force cancer cells to die or they inhibit their unregulated growth," says David Heber, M.D., Ph.D., a coauthor of the study.

To hit your daily cran quota, down a small glass of cranberry juice (the type that lists at least 27 percent juice on the label) at breakfast and snack on Craisins (sweetened dried cranberries) throughout the day.

Pledge to the gamma frat

The nutrient with the coolest name—gamma tocopherol—may also be the one with the fastest draw in a showdown with cancer. When Purdue University researchers pitted this form of vitamin E against prostate- and lung-cancer cells, they discovered that it was able to stop the cells in their microscopic tracks.

What's more, gamma tocopherol helped kill existing tumor cells without hurting healthy cells, says Qing Jiang, Ph.D., the study's lead author.

But what about the research showing that vitamin E supplements are worthless, and perhaps even dangerous? Doesn't apply to gamma tocopherol, since it isn't included in most E supplements.

Instead, you'll find it in sesame oil, which you can sub for other cooking oils or sprinkle over salads. Or, if you want a source you can sink your teeth into, munch on walnuts.

Link to Slide Show

7 Foods That Fight Cancer

Re: Foods That Fight Cancer

Stranger,

Sounds good to me. I hadn't heard much about whey, and have cut back on dairy as too much of that isn't good.

Maybe I need to find my whey back.

I have been following the Dr. Dean Ornish recommendations regarding diet for prostate cancer. It is much like suggestions in the post, plus relaxation exercises to reduce stress which Ornish feels is a cause of disease.

I have noted my PSA dropping after being on this Ornish plan for five months. The PSA went from 10 to 8 in that period. I asked my Urologist if this changed his recommendation for surgery and he expressed that diet can't change the cancer. And he said PSA tests can vary from test to test (this would seem to render PSA useless). I have a Gleason sum of 6 in six very tiny discovered sites.

Dr. Ornish faced skepticism regarding his claim of reversal of artery plaque through diet and other methods. But in that case research proved his skeptics wrong - he was able to halt and reverse plaque in arteries, thus greatly relieving symptoms. He is forging ahead with his prostate cancer research and I would not be surprised to see him proven right again.

I have had elevated PSA for 13 years, and I suspect the tiny cancers have been there all along not changing hardly at all. But at the urging of my Urologist I have going ahead with surgery very soon. Obviously I have a reluctance about going through the uncertain outcomes and difficulty of surgery.

Bill G USA

Stranger,

Good news.. I have virtually cut out dairy and red meat to improve my chances with my PCa. I really miss yogurt. Any thoughts on how much yogurt is good? Also I assume non-fat yogurt is best?

Al

Re: Re: Foods That Fight Cancer

Al,

Are you Al S who posted your story on the site? If so you're due to give me an update.

All the best

Terry

Re: Re: Foods That Fight Cancer

Al S,

Sorry, but the only thing I know about Yogurt is what they said in the slide show.

The Stranger

Stranger,

Thanks. Glad I can add yogurt back on. Must say - dropping cheese and red meat has but much easier than I had thought.

Terry,

Yes. This is the same Al S. I will post an update later today.

Thanks for the reminder.

Al

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS