Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

Recently diagnosed. 3+3=6 2 cores less than 5% out of ten. Stage t1c. Also have median lobe portrusion into bladder area creating reduced stream. Have been told that surgery (prostate removal) is my best option along with the lobe. Does anyone out there have any experience or suggestion for a surgeon in the Indiana area? (or surrounding) Any comments appreciated.

Van

Re: Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

I have no experience with surgery in the Indianapolis area, but would suggest you research all your options before opting for surgery. What you have described meets the criteria for low risk prostate cancer, so unless you have a very large prostate, high PSA or a quick PSA doubling time, all treatment options - as well as the option of waiting and monitoring the disease - are open to you.

I'd also suggest you expand your area of search for surgeons. With prostate surgery, the surgeon's skill and experience are extremely important. The best outcome may require some additional travel time.

Re: Re: Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

Steve, I noticed from another post that you traveled to colorado for treatment, Was this a surgery? The Urology doctors I have seen so far have suggested surgery because of my age 52. They told me I would have a better long term outcome as far as the cancer returning. I am not sure about w/waiting. My recent psa 2.9 is the same as it was a year ago.

Re: Re: Re: Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

William,

I went with focal cryo, and probably traded some amount of likelihood of cure for a lower chance of side effects. I was diagnosed at 58 and treated at 60. When I did the on-line longevity calculators, they told me I'd live to be between 91 and 95. The way things have played out so far, I don't know whether I'm under treated or over treated. Time will tell.

If your PSA is stable, you should be in no great hurry to be treated. It sounds like you feel like I did: you don't like feeling that your PCa is an unresolved issue. Many men jump into the first thing that is recommended. There are a number of treatments out there. I'm suggesting that you take the time to explore all options and don't choose until you feel like you have a decent understanding of the risks and benefits that comes with each option. What's right for one guy isn't necessarily right for the next guy even if he is the same age and has the same test results. You're the one who's going to live with the outcomes.

Terry has put together a lot of good information on this site, and I'm sure guys can supply other links if you need more info on specific topics. Again, with low risk cancer and stable PSA - you've got time to get to the point where you can make the best decision that you can. There are no guarantees with cancer. Like a day at the races, you just want to make the best bet you can and hope it pays off.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

Did you do Al Barquawi's program?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

William,

I went with focal cryo, and probably traded some amount of likelihood of cure for a lower chance of side effects. I was diagnosed at 58 and treated at 60. When I did the on-line longevity calculators, they told me I'd live to be between 91 and 95. The way things have played out so far, I don't know whether I'm under treated or over treated. Time will tell.

If your PSA is stable, you should be in no great hurry to be treated. It sounds like you feel like I did: you don't like feeling that your PCa is an unresolved issue. Many men jump into the first thing that is recommended. There are a number of treatments out there. I'm suggesting that you take the time to explore all options and don't choose until you feel like you have a decent understanding of the risks and benefits that comes with each option. What's right for one guy isn't necessarily right for the next guy even if he is the same age and has the same test results. You're the one who's going to live with the outcomes.

Terry has put together a lot of good information on this site, and I'm sure guys can supply other links if you need more info on specific topics. Again, with low risk cancer and stable PSA - you've got time to get to the point where you can make the best decision that you can. There are no guarantees with cancer. Like a day at the races, you just want to make the best bet you can and hope it pays off.

I have visited with six different surgeons and if I proceed with surgery as the approach, it would be a da Vinci procedure by Dr. Michael Koch at Indiana University in Indianapolis. Highly recommended by a friend and very impressive in a meeting with him.

Re: Re: Experience with surgery in the Indianapolis Indiana area?

I was diagnosed april 08 at 56.psa was 5+ and had jumped up from 3+ 1.5 years earlier. we talked to surgeon from siu in Springfield, IL, but passed on him because of lack of experience. (27 da vincies) I had surgery on 8/1/08 in indy by Dr. Koch. have been very happy with Dr. koch, and the results of the surgery. Cath removed after 6 days and continent ever since. I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Van,
I had Robotic Surgery a year ago in Fort Wayne In.
Dr Eric Wiese with North East Indiana Urology I highly reccomend him.
Eric Goff

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS