Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Liver function test

My AST and ALT have risen above the 2 times upper normal range. The doc is taking me off Casodex and the supplements I was taking to see if they come back down. Has anyone else experienced this with Casodex? It is one of the side effects of Casodex, rare but it does happen.

Re: Liver function test

Aloha Tim,
I have HBV, and have tested positive since 1986 when I tried to give blood to the Red Cross. I was only on Casodex for 2 weeks in May 07, then began one year on Lupron Depot (3 mth shots). Shortly after beginning ADT, my liver functions, which were just below the upper limits, took a sharp nose dive before leveling off again. My HBV DNA count dropped to 5,000 from 212,000.
In my searches & questions, this appears to be a fluke happen stance. I've found nothing to relate ADT to Liver function.
Sorry yours went the other way.
Joe

Re: Liver function test

Tim, my husband experienced extremely elevated liver function tests while on Casodex and a study drug. (AST and ALT 3 - 4 times upper normal and even higher). He discontinued both and liver function tests eventually returned to normal. He tried Casodex again a few months later and liver function tests started to rise immediately so again discontinued. He was being followed by Mayo Clinic at the time and they said this was a not uncommon side effect of Casodex. (He has taken low-dose Ketoconazole with no problem since August when PSA started to rise on Lupron).

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS