Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

He can pass blood for quite some time into weeks but the passing of debris can last 6 to 8 months. I started to pass larger chunks around the 5 to 6 month times and then some later almost around 8 months. These larger chunks don't hurt just give you a weird feeling for 2 or 3 seconds as they pass out. I still experience the odd time with very fine debris that just clouds the urine still at 9 months.
You can have the catheter for upto 5 weeks but it varies from person to person. I have talk to some men who only had the catheter for about 2 weeks while I had it for 4.5 weeks. This is due to diffences is healing time between people so not a big deal. Don't worry about it. When you are approaching 4 to 5 weeks then you might want to talk to someone at USHIFU for ideas. You are undoubtedly following the recommendation of turning the stopcock off for 1.5 to 2 hours no more and then voiding through the penis following by emptying the bladder through the catheter. You need to this frequently and that can take some time before you reach the magic volume of 80% through the penis or less than 100 ml. Just be patient it will come.
The fact that he was not passing debris until 5 days after the procedure has no effect on anything. It takes a little time for the body to start to slough off the dead tissue as well as the body absorbing some of the damage tissue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

Thank you for responding so promptly and explaining so clearly. We are in the UK and my 61 year young husband had localised HIFU treatment in Bristol with the Sonablate 500. I have just told him to be patient even though he is not a very patient patient :-) We have email/phone contact with his urologist who has taken great care of him but we don't want to bother him too often as he is a busy man. We were concerned because we hadn't read of anyone keeping the supra-pubic catheter for longer than 2 weeks. Thank you for reassuring us. Frankie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

Do you have anyone in the UK Sonablate HIFU organization that is monitoring your husband over the first 5 weeks and that you can contact on a regular basis for help? In Canada the USHIFU (Sonablate 500 organization) has a nurse that contacts us weekly to discuss any problems and we have a 1- 800 number to call any time during the day for concerns and problems. If you don't have that support try contacting USHIFU at 1 888-874-4384 during the day at I believe 8am to 5pm est which is going to be about 8 to 10 hours later for you. I am hoping that since your husband has taken the Sonablate 500 treatment and if you don't have any support that they might help you out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

Thank you, I never thought of them; we have HIFU UK over here and someone did contact my husband prior to his treatment to explain everything and offer support, we never thought of after care.

http://www.ukhifu.co.uk

Brian is passing blood and debris and has had a couple of what he calls 'longer streams' rather than 'jets'of urine then not much to shout about for a couple of days then more fluid streams again yesterday. He is still not voiding enough to have the catheter out though. Fingers crossed it happens soon! Does more continuous voiding happen all of a sudden? Thank you for your support, Frankie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Do you have anyone in the UK Sonablate HIFU organization that is monitoring your husband over the first 5 weeks and that you can contact on a regular basis for help? In Canada the USHIFU (Sonablate 500 organization) has a nurse that contacts us weekly to discuss any problems and we have a 1- 800 number to call any time during the day for concerns and problems. If you don't have that support try contacting USHIFU at 1 888-874-4384 during the day at I believe 8am to 5pm est which is going to be about 8 to 10 hours later for you. I am hoping that since your husband has taken the Sonablate 500 treatment and if you don't have any support that they might help you out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

The stream and the volume slowly increases but drinking lots of water, in my case I was drinking about 3 to 3.5 liters; way more than I was expected, but according to the HIFU doctor it would preventing any infection and I suspect it would also help bring the flow back. When I discovered that I was drinking too much and reduced the amount of water to the 1.5 liters my flow was good. It was the frequency that was the problem and that was corrected with the decrease in the amount of water consumed. My suggestion would be to increase the amount of water you consume. It will not hurt anything and it may help get the flow back sooner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

Brian had at long last his supra-pubic catheter removed last Thursday, 7 weeks from the date of the hifu treatment, ouf! The doctors checked with a camera and ultrasound that there were no obstructions and were satisfied that there weren't. He has been given and shown how to use pre-lubricated urethral intermittent catheters but doesn't seem able to manage, he tells me it is painful to insert. I suggested he'd go to visit his GP but to no avail. Consequently, he gets up every 2 hours at night to void and every 2 to 3 hours during the day. Is this likely to improve with time? He may be drinking too much fluid during the day. Your thoughts are usual are welcome. Kind regards,
Frankie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The stream and the volume slowly increases but drinking lots of water, in my case I was drinking about 3 to 3.5 liters; way more than I was expected, but according to the HIFU doctor it would preventing any infection and I suspect it would also help bring the flow back. When I discovered that I was drinking too much and reduced the amount of water to the 1.5 liters my flow was good. It was the frequency that was the problem and that was corrected with the decrease in the amount of water consumed. My suggestion would be to increase the amount of water you consume. It will not hurt anything and it may help get the flow back sooner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hifu mindwarp trivia from planet earth

The biggest question is "how much water is he drinking?" He should be down to about 48 ounces a day. When they removed the suprapubic catheter was he able to urinate through the penis so that there was only 100 ml or less in the bladder which was emptied through the catheter? How many weeks or months has it been since he had his procedure?
I know in my case I was up several times about 4 which was about every two hours during the night to urinate. I could only hold about 150ml. Reducing your intake of water during the day to the 48 ounces and taking no water after supper will help with the getting up during the night. This information was given to me by the HIFU nurse that help me extensively when I had the problems after the treatment. I am now approaching 1 year after my treatment and now, I only get up at night twice like before the treatment. My voided volume was 200 to 250 ml. I talked to my urologist and he prescripted Dom-Oxybutynin 5mg to calm the bladder with the result that my voided volume has increased to 300 ml at times and once 400ml. There are times during the day that I feel that I have to go maybe 2 hours or so after I went before. This is getting better and I can stop the sensation and so prolong the interval between urinations. I hope this will help.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS