Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Desperately Seeking Surgeon -- Arizona or Oklahoma

I’m doing a bit of web work for my dear father who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. At this point he is favoring Proton Beam Therapy, but wants to at least speak with a surgeon regarding the Da Vinci procedure (for both a second opinion, and as a fallback should he not be eligible for PBT). He was all set to head to the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, but was devastated to learn that as of Jan 1, 2009, they no longer accept his insurance.

Is there anyone out there who can highly recommend a great robotic surgeon in either Arizona or Oklahoma who is not a part of the Mayo system?

Re: Desperately Seeking Surgeon -- Arizona or Oklahoma

I would say go with Mayo at any cost. Dr. Robert Ferrigni saved my life at 34 years of age. He is the best out here. I will also feel around for the second best if I can. There is also a guy Dr Gburek or Dr Shapiro Dr Lipson. Dr Gilberto Brito aslo does Da Vinci

Get the book A Primer on Prostate Cancer, learn what it says about assessment and all parameter on PCa then have alot more input into your journey. The book covers about everything on PCa and particularly stuff you don't see in most other books.

Knowledge never hurts anyone..

The best surgeons tend to require some travel -- at least if you are starting in Arizona or Oklahoma. And the bad surgeons are butchers.

If he is willing to spend 8 weeks or so away from home to do Proton therapy, he will likely be grateful for the rest of his life -- based on patient reports on this website.

Does he qualify for Medicare, Medicaid or Veteran benefits?

I live in Casa Grande, AZ and had surgery Oct 28. My urologist is Dr. Patel who has his practice in Casa Grande and he is proficient in the Di Vinci procedure. He does his surgeries at Banner Desert Hospital in Mesa. His phone number is 520-421-2565.

I have been pleased with him and his work.

In addition, there is an article in today's Casa Grande Dispatch about a local oncologist who uses a state of the art radiation treatment for prostate cancer that promises to be very good. You should read that article. The Dispatch has a web page, but that article is not up on it yet.

Best wishes,

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS