Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PSA is not Prostate Specific (or PCa specific)

I'm intending to update the section PSA 101 on the site, but don't know when that will be.

Some time ago on this Forum I mentioned that PSA was generated by organs other than the prostate gland, but couldn't lay my hands on any references. Here is one that I found today:

Anticancer Res. 1996 Nov-Dec;16(6C):3983-4

Prostate specific antigen--new applications in breast and other cancers.

Diamandis EP.

Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
epd@eric.on.ca

Prostate specific antigen was, until recently, thought to be a highly specific biochemical marker of prostatic epithelial cells which is not produced by any female tissue. We have used immunological and molecular techniques to demonstrate the presence of PSA protein or mRNA in various non-prostatic tissues.
We have recently found that PSA is present in 30-40% of breast tumors and at a lower percentage in other tumors including lung, colon, ovary, liver, kidney, adrenal and paroria tumors. Others have found PSA in skin and salivary gland tumors and in normal endometrium. We found PSA in the normal breast, the milk of lactating women, breast discharge fluid and in amniotic fluid. We developed a tissue culture system that reproduces the phenomenon of PSA production by breast tumors. Using this system, we showed that PSA regulation is under the control of steroid hormones and their receptors. PSA is produced by normal, hyperplastic and malignant breast tissue and is present in all breast secretions and some other tumors. The physiological role of PSA in these tissues, fluids and tumors is currently unknown. A substrate for PSA in these tissues has not as yet been identified.

All the best

Terry in Australia

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS