Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
85 years old Dr wants to do Chemotherapy

My dad is 85 and has reoccuring prostate cance... It has spread to the bones(2 spots in his spine). The Dr now tells us that there are no other options other thatn chemo... We have done radiation seeds, hormones, pills, freezings and now this is our only option... He is in no pain and still drives, cooks, shops, and plays the guitar... I am unsure of what to do... I have heard that chemo can kill you quicker than the cancer... Or that you can beat the cancer and not be able to bounce back after the chemo... I am also unsure of what kind of chemo he wants to try... Does anyone know if the pill is less side effects than regualr chemo... We see the Dr on Thursday if anyone has any advice it would greatly be appreciated... Thanks again... Melissa

Re: 85 years old Dr wants to do Chemotherapy

Hi Melissa,
In my opinion there is only one question regarding the use of chemo that you should be asking your treating doctor, and that is, "will it improve your father's quality of life"? And the bottom line is that, the decision that you and your dad make is a subjective one after you have obtained all the facts.

I guess I am one, that would opt for quality instead of quantity time to live out my life. But that decision is very individual and others may disagree. Good luck in making your decision.
John

Melissa, you say about your Dad: He is in no pain and still drives, cooks, shops, and plays the guitar...

None of us can tell you what your Dad should do, but please listen to John's advice carefully. Your Dad seems to have a great quality of life from what you say. Can an 85 year old man have chemo treatment and keep that quality? Will he still feel like cooking, shopping and driving? Will he endure this intervention only to die of something quite unrelated, at his great age?

I am "only" 63, but I wish I had been able to weigh quality of life against quantity of life better when I was diagnosed at 60.

Ted from England

Only option???? Look at Dr. Strums book A Primer on Prostate Cancer

There are other drugs and protocols, perhaps some are more novel. Chemo is also expensive but you have to consider if it is worthy in your eyes, insurance may cover it all. There is alot of different Chemo protocols see (web search Bill Aishman-he has published alot of info for us patients as his legacy).

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS