Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Biopsy questions

I am scheduled for a biopsy next week and have a few questions. Are there any specific questions to ask before the biopsy is done? I have read that it is recommended that the results be sent to center that specializes in prostate cancer. This seems to be done after the initial pathology results. Can this be done initially by requesting the doctor to sent it directly?

Re: Biopsy questions

Sorry, I can't answer your specific question but I can offer some advice. Ask your doctor for sedation prior to the procedure. My first biopsy was unpleasant in the extreme. I had a Valium and a Percoset before the second one. It was almost pleasant. But I did have to get a ride home.

Good luck.

Paul A. RI, USA

G’day Wendell

You may like to go along to the booklet I wrote (which is downloadable and in hard copy), the relevant part of which is here A STRANGE PLACE - BIOPSY There are some suggestions as to what results you want shown in your biopsy report.

It is a good idea to get the results reviewed by recognised experts and some of these are listed at RECOGNISED EXPERT PATHOLOGISTS

You can ask your physician to send the slides to the pathologist of your choice or you can do so yourself. There is an additional cost, which may not be met by your insurance, and you may get some resistance from your physician, but it is very important to get this information, assuming of course that there is some positive material in the samples taken.

Hope this helps – and good luck. Just bear in mind if the news isn’t good, the words of leading pathologist Dr Jonathan Oppenheimer on his BLOG For the vast majority of men with a recent diagnosis of prostate cancer the most important question is not what treatment is needed, but whether any treatment at all is required. Active surveillance is the logical choice for most men (and the families that love them) to make.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Terry typed ... "There are some suggestions as to what results you want shown in your biopsy report."

Really???? What I WANT shown? (smile ... I gotta read that report.)

Re: Re: Biopsy questions

Well, Phred, what you want shown on any biopsy report is that there are no positive specimens - at least that's what I wanted.

But if there are positive specimens, then you wnat to know a good deal more than is shown in most reports if you want to take charge of your own treatment.

All the best

Terry

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS