Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rising PSA

Hi Joe,
You are about 4 months ahead of me since end of radiation treatment. Like you I also had hormones although mine were neo adjuvant (before radation). But of course the effects of the hormones will linger on for about six months or more after your last shot. I note that you have your last shot in April 2008. So we could expect your PSA and testosterone levels to rise by say about December January. Your January PSA came in at 0.12, approximately double the 0.05 that was the reported low in your treatment chart that I read.

OK now we both still have our prostates unlike the surgery guys. So our PSA levels are never going to be zeros.
Mine is currently 0.1ng/ml and I am very happy with that Joe. You also may care to read my treatment chart as well.

Now papers that I have read suggest that after external beam radiation, PSA can decrease over 1 to 2 years to a mean value (nadir) of less than 1.0ng/ml, which is indicative recurrence free survival. Note that figure Joe, 1.0. Now you are currently at 0.12ng/ml, which is looking ok in my opinion. It is far to early to speculate just yet Joe. And I know after reading your treatment charts that you have had issues to deal with. So Joe, relax smell the flowers and enjoy each day as it comes. Who knows, perhaps several years down the track we may both look back and wonder what all that PSA anxiety was all about, LOL.

Cheers John

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS