Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: median lobe blockage

William, my original pre-op pathology was a bit like yours and my post op pathology confirmed it. I have a new uro now who thinks my situation was one where I could easily have watched and waited. So please listen to Terry and carefully weigh up that option before you act too quickly. I wish I had.

But the reason for me replying, as well as to say that, is that alarm bells rang when you said you have this median lobe obstruction. I have no clue what a median lobe obstruction is, but my own Da Vinci procedure was ruined because I had a previous TURP which left scar tissue that made it impossible for my highly experienced surgeon to remove the whole prostate.

What I am saying to you is to thoroughly check with your surgeon AND get a second opinion, as to how confident they are that when they do a Da Vinci, that your other "complication" will not cause them to "lose their landmarks" which is what mine told me happened to him in my case.

Also check with him that after doing so many with the robot, that he is confident that he can still switch to "manual" if he can't see clearly round the obstruction you have. The consequences of them shooting in the dark can be awful.

I may getting to be a bit of a bore on this topic, but I urge anyone who has any other conditions which might complicate the surgery to quiz the Da Vinci guys VERY thoroughly, to be sure they can handle it, as well as they can the relatively straightforward jobs.

Ted from England

Re: Re: median lobe blockage

Ted,

Thanks for the info. I did talk to one of the urologist about the obstruction and he acted as if there would be no problem during the Da Vinci surgery. If it were not for this obstruction I would consider radiation. Thanks again.

Van

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

William, my original pre-op pathology was a bit like yours and my post op pathology confirmed it. I have a new uro now who thinks my situation was one where I could easily have watched and waited. So please listen to Terry and carefully weigh up that option before you act too quickly. I wish I had.

But the reason for me replying, as well as to say that, is that alarm bells rang when you said you have this median lobe obstruction. I have no clue what a median lobe obstruction is, but my own Da Vinci procedure was ruined because I had a previous TURP which left scar tissue that made it impossible for my highly experienced surgeon to remove the whole prostate.

What I am saying to you is to thoroughly check with your surgeon AND get a second opinion, as to how confident they are that when they do a Da Vinci, that your other "complication" will not cause them to "lose their landmarks" which is what mine told me happened to him in my case.

Also check with him that after doing so many with the robot, that he is confident that he can still switch to "manual" if he can't see clearly round the obstruction you have. The consequences of them shooting in the dark can be awful.

I may getting to be a bit of a bore on this topic, but I urge anyone who has any other conditions which might complicate the surgery to quiz the Da Vinci guys VERY thoroughly, to be sure they can handle it, as well as they can the relatively straightforward jobs.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS