Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acupuncture

Happy New Year all.
I am 6 weeks out of surgery and doing great and the pathology at surgery indicated that the cancer was contained within the prostate and that I am cancer free.
My only problem is that I am still totally incontinent. My surgeon explained that since I suffered from an enlarged prostate for many years the bladder was conditioned to forcing urine through my restricted urethera and that I will be ok when the bladder relaxes a bit and stops overpowering the sphincter. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?
A friend with experience in holistic medicine has suggested that acupuncture is a way to relax the bladder and would speed my return to continence. Has anyone had any experience with this or have any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Acupuncture

Jon A you are doing very well. At 6 weeks it is far too early to make any decisions. Your continence will improve (mine took 4 months and I too had been 5 years with BPH that necessitated a TURP before prostatectomy).

I know nothing about acupuncture but I am sure that somebody will tell you it is wonderful, although I, (and perhaps they), will have no idea why. Before you go spending money on alternative treatments, just give yourself time.

Are you doing Kegel exercises?

Ted from England.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS