Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calypso Procedure

On a previous post, I indicated that my Robotic prostatectomy surgery was aborted due to extensive scar tissue. Follow-up MRI revealed lipomatosis surrounding my bladder and partially the prostate. I am now considering IMRT. The Radiation Oncologist is recommending the Calypso 4D Localization procedure which will detect any movement of the prostate and minimize radiation to healthy surrounding tissue. The procedure involves the implantation of 3 electromagnetic transponders into my prostate. I've checked the Calypso web site and got some technical information. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this procedure?

Charlie -- Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Calypso Procedure

I had IMRT using three gold markers that were implanted during a biopsy. This system used low dose X-rays to guide the high dose beam and it can control the beam with great precision. As an electrical engineer, I don't see why a guiding system using RF is even used. RF is relatively long wavelength compared to X-ray or visible light. This means that the error in positioning the beam will be greater. Also, in engineering you never use more technology than is needed. What if a transponder fails? Gold markers cannot fail and gold is not affected by an MRI. An RF transponder will probably prevent you from getting an MRI in the future.

Pual A. RI, USA

Charlie I support Paul's view 100%. Like Paul I also had the gold seed implants prior to EBRT. But in addition to the fudical marking of the prostate, my gold seeds also resulted in a very substantial decrease in arthritic joint pain. So it was an additional unexpected bonus.

It is however possible, for implanted gold seeds to move (rare, but can happen). That is why the implant is done about 2 weeks prior to the commencement of Radiation.

Good luck with your treatment.

Aloha Charlie,
I had EBRT/IMRT last year, no guiding implants. They used three tatoos, one each side & one directly above the center of prostate (laying on your back). After pelvic cavity radiation (about 1/2 total dose), they used ultra sound positioning system to verify where the bladder was with respect to the prostate and made adjustments accordingly. This was because depending on how much you drink, your bladder changes position. My only regret is that I did not have hemorrhoid surgery prior to treatment. My bladder is fine, no signs of radiation damage. Also, I was one of the 10% who got their rectum radiated, which after a year leads to hundreds of very small bleeding blood vessels in the rectum. This causes colitis, and damage to the anus, which gave me minor incontenance, and blood in the stool. We are just now doing the Argon laser cauteraziation. Had one in September, will need another shortly. I do not have ED. I was on ADT for one year ending June 08. The testosterone levels are not that high yet, so I can keep it up, but no release.
Please, what ever you decide, make that choice with your doctor (who will treat you) and your partner/spouse.
I also recommend that you seek BHS help for both you and your partner. The outcome of your treatment will be unique to you, and may or may not have problems.
Have faith, hope, and our prayers are with you,
Joe

Re: Re: Calypso Procedure

Joe
Thank you for sharing your experiences and your words of wisdom. I am grateful for all the input and advice I have received from many people in this forum and others I am participating in. Ultimately, my wife and I have to make the right decision and be prepared to deal with any consequences. I know that with the good Lord at my side, I will be fine.

Merry Christmas
Charlie Fenstermaker
Fogelsville, PA

Thanks to Paul, John & Joe for your response and insights. Since your postings I did a lot more research on the Calypso technology. It was FDA approved in 2006 and approximately 2000 men have taken taken advantage of the procedure thus far. For the most part, there is little difference between the Calypso Beacon Transponders and gold seeds. The only procedural difference is that the gold seeds are detected to align the radiation beam at the beginning of each treatment. The Calypso system monitors the location of the implants throughout the treatment. So if there is a slight movement of the prostate during radiation treatment, the system will detect the change of position and stop the radiation until alignment can be adjusted. The seeds are made of a metal alloy, but will not interfere with metal detectors. Nor with they interfere with MRI studies, except for MRI studies of the prostate.

Being in the healthcare profession for 30+ years, I find this technology to be very intriguing. After carefully weighing the feedback I received from many people like yourselves, I decided to move forward with the Calypso. The implants were inserted yesterday and I will now begin my radiation treatments next week. I will keep you posted as treatments progress.

Charlie F. - Pennsylvania

I used the Calypso markers in 2007. There were times when the technicians stopped the beam and repositioned me due to movement. They watch on a screen so hopefully all works better.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS