Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
post di vinci operation treatment

Had the procedure Oct. 28. On the path table the prostate was 104 grams with a Gleason of 10 and negative margins.

A PSA last week showed 0.1 and my doc suggests getting another in mid February before setting further treatments.

Is this being too slow ??

I think he will suggest hormone treatments over radiation...any suggestions there?

I am a 76 year old resident of Casa Grande, AZ

Re: post di vinci operation treatment

Fred,
It's only been 8 weeks, your PSA is low and there were negative margins. Why do anything at this point? Everything points to a good result. Don't go rushing into another series of treatments unles you really need them. I've had a da Vinci, ADT and radiation. I only wish I was able to stop after the surgery.

Paul A. USA

Re: post da vinci operation treatment

Fred, here's my take on what you relate.

Your doc sounds plenty reasonable to me. With your surgery so recent it is good practice to give it a few months for more full recovery.
Gleason 10 is surely dangerous stuff, so most likely, though not surely, you will need further treatment. With the negative margins the doc probably believes the chance is substantial that any remaining cancer might have left the area, perhaps by the blood stream. If so, local radiation will not catch it.

Any cancer you might still have is not much, so I'd just get your body as healthy as possible, including good diet, so that it can best take care of things. And maybe that PSA will not rise in February. If you are not confident in your doctor, try to get another opinion in the meantime.

Fred, I agree with Paul A. You seem to have had an excellent outcome from surgery. Like Paul, my Da Vinci was a failure in that it left me with some prostate tissue. My PSA at last test was 0.81. It has been stable at that figure and if it stays at that I am doing nothing else. You can imagine that if I got PSA "down" to your figure of 0.1 I would want to jump for joy.

I think you should get your strength back and your continence before you even think of doing anything else, and monitor your PSA over a period of time. I am not a doctor and I know that in America many doctors believe in a blitzkrieg approach with high Gleason. But your margins were negative. And Fred, with due respect to you, you are 76 mate. I think you are old enough not to be rushing into things!

Ted from England

Re: Re: post di vinci operation treatment

Fred understand what Ted has written. Whatever treatment you might choose will have side effects that will harm your quality of life. If or when your psa starts rising you might consider doing something about it. Why treat something that might not even be there?
BTW the lowest my psa has been for the last 7 years after RP has been 0.2 and the highest 5.1.

Good luck

Lenny
Israel

If you are even remotely considering hormone treatment please get Dr Patrick Walsh's book 'Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer' from your local library and read his recommendation relative to when one should begin ADT. He is the father of 'nerve sparing surgery'

Patrick
Cape Cod,Ma.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS