Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PSA 1.01

two years ago at age 48 I had some frequency in urinating so Dr did psa it was .99. He said gland enlarged but normal feeling sent to Uroligist same thing fels fine but enlarged.

Checked 1 yr later 1.01 drs say dont worry normal and low concidering the size. I still cant help but think its something bad....

Re: PSA 1.01

Chaz the difference between your PSA testing of 0.02 is very small indeed. At that rate it will take 50 years for your PSA to double to 2.02 ng/ml. Even then well within normal limits for a 98 year old LOL. But things can change quickly, and your enlarged prostate does require monitoring by your physican, which you are doing. So relax and enjoy the festive season.

Chaz,

Such a small change is well within the normal range of testing error and certainly within the normal fluctuation of your PSA level. Remember that PSA levels change even if you press on your prostate. Also remember that PSA is a normal secretion of the prostate. There will always be some PSA in your range for a healthy prostate. Just keep an eye on it with regular testing. Remember to avoid sex or any other stimulus on the gland for at least 24 hours before each PSA test.

Paul A. RI, USA

Re: Re: PSA 1.01

well I just figured at 49 yrs old it should be like .55, the enlargement is something im concerned with too, it doesnt bother me but i am worried about Pc, I hope I never get it as im sure everyone wishes.

Again my psa WAS .55 6 or 7 yrs ago...
Thanks guys

Re: Re: Re: PSA 1.01

Chaz there is no hard and fast rule as to what PSA level is appropriate to each individual, rather there is a range with a fair amount of latitude. It is possible to have PCa with a very low PSA, which a friend of mine did. It is also possible to have a high PSA and not have PCa.

Basically it comes down to a matter of trust and confidence in your doctor. If you have doubts, change your physician. We can only assist you with our personal experience. Expert advice really should be the domain of your treating physicians.

Re: Re: Re: Re: PSA 1.01

Sorry to see that you are suffering from PSA anxiety.

Have you been on the website to this page PSA 101 ?

It may help you, especially if you follow all the links.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Chaz,
Do you mean a PSA of 99 or .99? 99 is definitely something to check out. If it's .99, With an enlarged prostate you're talking BPH. My PSA was 4.6 when the urologist did a DRE and found a lump and ridge. My Gleason score is 9. I'm 52. So a low PSA doesn't necessarily mean you're in the clear. A digital rectal exam (DRE) is the other that will help determine prostate cancer. Then there are biopsies.

Mark

Re: Re: PSA 1.01

no not 99 its .99 then went to 1.01 which he said is the "same number" I have had several DRE's he said its enlarged but feels fine otherwise,

chaz, sorry to hear you are suffering from Prostate Specific Anxiety. Please read Terry's PSA 101.

You do seem to have all the symptoms of BPH, but I'm not a doctor, so if I were you I would do what Paul A said and keep an eye on your PSA evry 3 to 6 months. IF it trends up then have a biopsy.

But at the moment if DRE reveals nothing and the PSA is constant ( and, it is a fact that 0.99 is the same as 1.01 ), give yourself some slack and enjoy this holiday.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS