Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Eligard (Lupron)

Some people just get lucky, too bad I'm not one of them. Tried Megace for hot flashes and it worked but wasn't able to stomach the bloated feeling, hunger and further weight gain so I quit it. Three months after 22month course of Lupron and the hot flashes are more viscious than ever! Regular exercise under doctors approval for fatigue but still losing muscle. Low cal diet to limit fat deposits. Breast growing late into treatment. I'm resigned to sucking it up for the duration. - p (Alaska, USA)

Don,

I was on Lupron for 6 months this year. I had all of the same symptoms. The lasted until just recently although I still have trouble remembering the names of some things. The lack of energy was the worst part for me. I slowly resumed exercises as I was able. I got off a lot of the fat that I gained but some would not go away. I took the drastic step of having liposuction to get back to my previous self (and then some).

Paul A. USA

Aloha Don,
I was on Lupron Depot 3 mth shots for one year... worst year of my life ... is very appropriate statement. Last shot to hips was April/08 ... still have minor pain, both hips, gets worse with weather changes. Was able to get back to exercising in June/08. Did not gain weight, did get the pot belly, still have the pot belly. Gradually getting my stamina back. You are right ... it will be a tough choice if ADT is recommended again. At this point, I'm praying that the cancer is gone....and will not need to make that choice.
Don ... you are not alone on this one.
Hope you have a partner ... very difficult to do this by yourself.
SEE A THERAPIST ... GET HELP!
Our prayers are with you, hope, love, chin up,
Joe

Don, I suggest that you not waste engery in worry about the IF SYMPTON. "If" can play havoc in our day to day lives especially in our on going fight against the big C. Have a look at my story in the Mentors list under RP. For nearly eight years I have been on Casodex 150mg intermittent therapy with next to no side effects.

If and when you should need to go back to some type of treatment look at all options. It is easy for the doctor take the easy way and recommend ADT. He does not have to live with it. Either way you are going to get a cure, whether be it ADT, Casodex or DES. There are so many things in the pipe line that something must come up to "save" us

Get on with your life and live for to-day

Lenny Hirsch
Israel

Hi Lenny,
Let me get this straight. Your claim is that side effects are mitigated by the type of medication. I was under the impression that side effects were due to lack of testosterone and the individual's reaction to chemical castration. - p (Alaska, USA)

Re: Re: Eligard (Lupron)

That was my understanding as well.

Paul A.

Re: Re: Eligard (Lupron)

Hi Pat
The lack of testosterone is caused by the medication. Lupron and Zoladex stop the production of testr. Without the medication there would be no side effects, at least not as strong as as one on ADT can experience

Lenny
Israel

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS