Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TURP

Jim, I had a TURP after 5 years of poor and worsening urine flow. It was during the TURP that the uro took 13 needles and found some small amount of cancer.

But the TURP itself was a great success for me. Amazingly as well as improving my flow it improved my sex life! I think this was because it cured all the inflammation in that area. Also my PSA went down from 1.6 to 0.99 (despite having 2 needles with less than 5% each of cancer).

I'm not sure if after cryo you have ED issues, but if you don't then check with the uro that he/she is confident about sparing you any ED problems. I not only had no ED issues but even maintained ejaculation. My uro told me that there are ways of doing the TURP so that this can be done.

As for your question about what methods there are I don't know. Mine took about 15 grams of chippings away leaving me with a 50 gram plus prostate. It really was a great operation for me and improved my life no end. Then of course I went and had a Da Vinci prostatectomy........and that, as they say, is a whole other story!

Ted from England

Jim,

I assume, when you ask What type of TURP procedure is the most successful? you are referring to the three differing procedures used to reduce the pressure on the urethra and increase the flow of urine from the bladder?

The three procedures to which I refer are

1. the surgical TURP (Trans Urethral Resection of the Prostate) – the most common of the procedures that is often referred to as a rotor rooter job

2. TUMT (transurethral microwave thermotherapy of the prostate)

3. TUNA (transurethral needle ablation of the prostate)

There are two Yana mentors whose medical practitioners considered using a TUMT (transurethral microwave thermotherapy) procedure - TOM HERRICK and BUD WOODWARD and you might get some information from them, but from what you have said, I would think that the issue is a complex one that needs the advice of a well qualified professional rather than from us amateurs.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Jim,

Green light laser TURP is an option too. Suggest you check out http://www.laserscope.com/surgical/consumers/index.html.

Procedures must affect different guys differently. It's been 2 months since my cryo: my flow is improved and nocturia is gone - I'm sleeping through the night for the first time in years.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS