Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
incontinence

Greetings all,
I am 11 days out of surgery (radical retropubic prostatectomy-say that fast 10 times) and I'm feeling well and very pleased with my recovery. I have one concern:
While the catheter was in (it was removed 3 days ago) I leaked around the tube every time I moved or stood up. It was a goodly amount. Since the catheter has been removed I have absolutely no control. Whenever I stand up there is a flood that I cannot slow or stop. This has not lessened over the three days that the catheter has been out. My understanding was that I would have some small amount of control by now and I am concerned that there has been no progress.
I am doing the kegel exercises. I am sixty years old and in very good health. Prior to surgery my prostate had been enlarged for many years.
After the cancer (which appears to have been contined to the prostate) my big fear was/is the incontinence issue. My mind is trying to make this into a big deal.
Does anyone have any wisdom or similar experiences that they would like to share?
This is a great site.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: incontinence

Jon, it's 11 days. Let's say that again. Jon, it's 11 days.

I was about your age when I had Da Vinci. It took 4 months before I was continent and some people tell me that was a short time. You say it floods when you stand. It is perfectly normal that you will regain continence first when you are lying down. It was osme time before I could get to the bathroom, (which is en suite!), from the bed, without a flood.

My uro told me that the best you can hope for is that eventually you will be marginally more capable than your wife at holding your water. Since the op, we are now built more like her (bladder sphinctre wise). And it's true. Now, when we have had a few drinks, she still has to be more careful about laughing heartily than I do!

Give yourself time, Jon.

Ted from England

Jon,

I am with what Ted said, it has been 11 days so pace yourself. I am about 3 and a half weeks in since LRP and still have leaks at times.

My wife put it best when she said you can not go to the gym and expect to build huge muscles in one visit. It is going to take time, but just know that it will get better.

Robin
AZ-USA

Re: Re: incontinence

Greetings All,
I am now 24 days out of surgery and still 100% incontinent. I have absolutely no control of my bladder. Should I be concerned? I am trying to be patient but getting woried......
Other than the incontinence the recovery is going well. No complications and I seem to be healing nicely.

Thx,
Jon

Should I be concerned?

In my opinion Jon, NO! You are still healing. If it doesn't make you too sore, do the Kegels.

It will improve.

Ted from England

Re: Re: incontinence

This is interesting and concerning. I had my RP on the 25th. November and my catheter out last Thursday (11th.)I am leaking like a drain, I can't seem to store up enough to give me a good flow, so demoralising. I drove to the next town to buy pads, I know the people who work in my local chemist, couldn't face them. I read it could take 3 months to regain some control.

Kev ( From England)

Kev, did they not tell you that it takes time? You have just had really MAJOR surgery. Apart from all the bruising and trauma, your sphinctre mechanisms have been altered. It took me 3 to 4 months to get really dry. Some people take longer. I'm now really confident at parties and bars where I drink too much, but sometimes if I laugh too hard or stand up drinking too long, a little squirt can come out.

I have said before that my uro told me that, sphinctre wise, after the op, we are built more like the girls. But we will still hold our pee better than they do!

You will be dry first of all lying down. Then you will be dry sitting but will leak when you stand. Then you will be dry standing but leak when walking. Then you will be dry except when you are jumping, laughing and drinking alcohol. And then after all that, you will be dry.

Be patient, mate.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS