Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Intermittent HT

Yes, I am - see my story. Also if you go through the indexes on the site - at http://www.yananow.net/Experiences.html you will find many men on ADT some of whom are on intermittent therapy.

All the best

Terry in Australia

Re: Intermittent HT

Hi Jo. I too am on IHT. Currently I am trying a cycle of three months on and three months ff treatment. I was diagnosed with PCa with a PSA of 25.7 and bone mets. Initially I was on Zoladex for 8 months, to a PSA low of 1.91, then came off, hoping for 6 months or more free of treatment. But my PSA rose to 10.7 within 4 months, just before we were due to go away for 3 weeks. After discussion with my oncologist, given I didn't at all like the killing tiredness side-effect of Zoladex, I started on Flutamide instead, which brought the PSA down to 3.46 in 3 months. PSA then rose to 21.2 in just 8 weeks, unfortunately. So I'm now on Flutamide plus Avodart for three months. After 4 weeks PSA was 4.77, and I've just had a blood test, results in a few days time. I'll stay on Avodart when I come off Flutamide mid-December, hoping that the PSA won't rise to more than about 15 in the following three months. It is early days for me (nearly two years from diagnosis though!) and we'll have to wait and see if IHT will work well for me.

My reasons for trying IHT were initially because of some evidence that it can prolong the time to becoming hormone refractory, plus very good evidence that it has no worse survival value than continuous HT. An urology professor who spoke at our support group this week said he believed that anyone on hormone treatment should us it intermittently. For me a strong secondary reason now is that one can be free of side-effects in the off periods, and that certainly includes return of libido!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS