Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: PCa doctor bias and lack of options laid out for patients to consider

In my case, I had concurring opinions from a second urologist and a radiation oncologist. And what you say is very true: a cancer diagnosis affects your decision making process. prior to my surgery, I had a great deal of trust in the medical community. Now I question everything that any doctor tells me.

Paul A. USA

Re: PCa doctor bias and lack of options laid out for patients to consider

Bob,

That was an interesting post. I also believe there is often a push for immediate treatment that may not be necessary, or any treament at all. If you haven't read this paper by Dr. Stamey it's an interesting read and goes along with what you said in your post. I'll put a link to it below and maybe we can all discuss it.

Of course NOT ALL of the people found with PCa today fall into this catagory but from what I've read most do and that's why there's such a controversy over how or if to treat them. Doctors say the problem is since we don't know which tumor will progress slowly or quickly we treat all of them the same, which leaves it up to the patient to take the risk of watchfull waiting or go for immediate treatment. And let's face it when someone says you have cancer the emotional reaction if most often the driving factor.

The Prostate Specific Antigen ERA in the United States is over, what happened in the last 20 years

I must point out someone I admire, Terry Herbert. He researched the disease when he was diagnosed and came to the conclusion he could wait and deal with it later IF it became a problem. Then after 12 years he needed to go on ADT, which saved him 12 years of living with the after effects of surgery or EBRT. To me, for him it worked out very well since many people end up on ADT after surgery and EBRT. So Terry I salute you, you have shown both great courage and grace dealing with your PCa and running this site to help others.

The Stranger

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS