Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EBRT More to come?

Aloha,
It has been my opinion for some time that the Prescribed Dose in EBRT has been, over the years, increasing, always just below what is thought that might damage healthy tissue. After the first half of the dose (pelvic cavity), they used ultra-sound to view the bladder & prostate, then positioned the beam accordingly. With this guidance system, bladder damage is minimized. Where before all they had was X-rays and possibly metal seeds in the prostate target area to aim the beam. I suspect that the dose may have been pushed up to the point where we are seeing very late long term effects in healthy tissue, which may not have been seen before, due to lower doses.
As for killing the cancer, what is the grow back rate now ... 35% positive in five years?
Joe

Re: Re: EBRT More to come?

I went to a prostate support group last night. the speaker was a radiation oncologist who is working on shortening the treatment time. His research shows that higher dose treatments over fewer weeks works better. Better technology (image guided, intensity modulated, hypofractionated doses) causes less of the good tissue to be affected. This allows for higher doses to the bad tissue. He feels he should be able to treat a patient in as little as one week.

Paul A, USA

Re: Re: Re: EBRT More to come?

Paul,

The most heavily touted form of hypofractionated radiation is CYBERKNIFE which is done over five days.

This is still regarded as an experimental form of treatment as there are no long term results for PCa.

All the best

Terry in Australia

thanks my brother has very bad side effects ibs radiation burn severe constipation loosing weight no energy he had ebr 4 or 5 years ago think twice about this anyone interested question what is the cure i mean what should he do his belly isa s hard a football thanks jq

Aloha jq,
I think your brother should see a doctor/oncologist as soon as possible. It sounds like there could be complications. As to a cure, I'm not cured, however I am able to lead an active life once the damaged organs were removed (+ recovery time.
Let us know how this problem is worked on/turns out,
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS