Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overall health and PCa

As a follow up to my post on Vitamin E and Selenium, I wish to add a few things:

I had my first PSA in 1997 (just over 3) which was by today’s standards high. Was something cooking down there? It remained steady over the next six years. I skipped a year and it skyrocketed.

I have a picture of me taken in 2002 standing on a friend’s boat in shorts and a tight T-shirt, arm and leg muscles bulging and no love handles. My weight at that time was 208 lbs. BTW: I keep that picture handy to remind me of where I need to be going right now. Was good health and diet keeping my suspicious PSA in check?

In 2004, doughnuts every morning, lack of exercise, job stress and other factors led me to give up on my health and by the time I had my next PSA (29) in 2006, I had gained 50 lbs. I was going downhill fast. Looking back, I think this lapse of good health weakened my immune system and allowed my already low level PCa to become quite aggressive.

I feel that it was no coincidence in my case that poor health decisions led to my rapidly increasing PSA. While this opinion cannot be supported scientifically, I feel that I must get back to that 2002 picture of health to compliment my treatments and improve my overall survival. This is not an easy process while on Lupron but I know that by keeping up my current regimen that I can make it back to that picture after the hormone reverses. Good health to all – p (Alaska, USA)

Re: Overall health and PCa

Pat,
I feel the same way. I look back at my slimmer self and wish to be there. As soon after the Lupron as I was able, I started jogging once or twice a day. I lost most of the pregnant look and resumed wearing my old pants (two sizes smaller than when on Lupron). I've hit a wall in the slimming process so I've decided on liposuction. I'm scheduled for early December. While I'm in the shop, they're going to do a face lift too (same recovery time). Hell, I'm worth it.

Paul A. USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS