Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Remission?

Several concerned people have asked me of late if my cancer is in remission. I really don't know how to answer. Two years post-diagnosis, my PSA is undectable. Is this remission? Or would it be more correct to view remission after ADT effects wear off with PSA maintaining an acceptable level?
Finally, if I'm not considered to be in remission on the ADT technicality, what would be an accurate answer? - p (Alaska, USA)

Re: Remission?

Pat:
I have seen this situation of Androgen Deprivation Therapy described as a "maintained remission". That means as long as the patient is under treatment the remission is in effect; there are no other disease conditions noted nor diagnosed. This does not mean that the disease is eradicated, merely latent; that medical science is currently unable to identify activity at such a low level. A doctor may note on a patient chart in such a situation "NED" meaning no evidence of disease. Such a notation does not indicate a cure. Only longterm remission can be labelled a cure.

Hey Tarhoosier,
Where the heck are you from anyway? Your moniker suggests either Indiana or North Carolina. I really appreciate your comment “maintained remission”. While this would seem to be a great explanation to a close confidant, I probably should have stated my dilemma in a different manner.
I have lived in a small community for over 23 years and during that time, I have met literally hundreds of people who by the nature of our environment have offered their prayers and good wishes as to my health. After being virtually shut-in over the last two years, I’m attempting to reestablish myself in some of the social circles I frequented before my diagnosis. While my first experience was a beginning, I seemed to be hampered by the never ending questions about my run in with Prostate Cancer. Not knowing how to assure others as to how my situation is progressing, I found myself in a corner, wanting to answer all questions but not having the tact to move on to another topic.
So I guess what I’m looking for is a canned and non-condescending (but truthful) response that will magically put acquaintances at ease while at the same time allowing me to move on to other more pertinent topics. – p (Alaska, USA)

Pat,

As you will appreciate I have been in a similar position to yours for many more years (twelve now) than you have, with my position complicated somewhat by the fact that until recently I had no conventional treatment.

My take on this is that although folk are often polite and kind enough to enquire as to how I’m doing, they’re not really interested in the detail of what is a pretty complex subject. So my response generally to the question “How are you doing?” is to say “Have a look, how do you think I am?” Since I look pretty healthy, that usually is enough for us to go onto another subject, but occasionally I’ll get another question along the lines of “No, seriously, what’s happening with your health?” [bearing in mind I’ve got a heart condition as well as the prostate cancer.] To that I say “Well, the cardiologist gave me a clean bill of health at the last meeting and the cancer seems to have responded to treatment. I’ll know a bit more after my next PSA test which I’m having – and I tell them when that’ll be

That seems to be what they want to know and I believe is an honest portrayal of my situation.

Hope that helps

All the best

Terry in Australia

Hi Pat,
If you feel uncomfortable answering questions directed to you, answer briefly, then ask questions about that person (who asked the question in the first place). If they and you can enter into a polite discussion, both give and listen, then perhaps you can provide more detail as you feel comfortable with sharing. If the conversation goes to other topics, then enough said about your health.
As we come out and away from our health issues, people generally want to hear that you are healing and trying to get back into a normal life (if that is at all possible). Give plenty of thanks for all the prayers, and if you are a member of a church, they are your family, and they just want to know that you are OK.
As I think back about some of my older friends, the ones I do not like to be around are still reliving their pain and still want you to share it with them.
Think about now, how good you feel, and share that with your friends.
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS