Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: psa tests

hi terry,
thanks so much for the info. really appreciate it. hope you are well and i'll keep in touch!
thanks again from mill valley, california
john

Re: psa tests

I had a PSA rise from 3.8 to 5.4 over a 18 month period with a 19 free psa and biopsy was positive(age 55). Father had PC at age 68. Urologist had said my odds of PC was 25% so its hard to guess. Had robotic surgery in Feb. and am ok. But I have a friend who had a 6 PSA and had the biopsy and his was negative so its hard to give a good guess.

hi richard,
thanks for your feedback. just had one question for you or terry regarding fpsa. since mine has dropped some from 15 in 2006 to 11.2, is there any other possible cause of fpsa dropping gradually like that?
i think terry mentioned it could be because of enlarging prostate but doesn't that usually denote a rise in fpsa? again, thanks for all your help. love the website.
best to all,
john

Re: psa tests

John,

The studies I have seen merely say that BPH can affect the fPSA but gthe extent was not quantified. My understanding was that the percentage would change but that it might be up or down.

All the PSA tests are very variable and unreliable and are NOT PCa specific. The only real value - apart from the very high numbers, like the 7,000 ng/ml that new member Roy White reports - is in watching the variances. Continuous accelerating PSA increases are associated with PCa - other variances are more likely to be caused by BPH, prostatitis or some other infection

Best

Terry

again, thank you, terry. the more i read this forum,
the more i'm beginning to understand. continued good health and thanks for your patience.
best,
john

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS