Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I haven't heard of my situation too many times before

G’day David,

I’ve certainly read about men with a low PSA and metastasized disease. This is rare, but there is no doubt that it happens – we have two members who had low PSA scores but T4 staging – regular contributor STEVE B and RICHARD JOHNSEN.

The only other case I personally know of was a man in the Support Group I ran in Cape Town. He had continuous, and increasing, pain in his hip and back joints for some months but was unable to find a cause. Someone suggested PCa, but his PSA was only marginally raised and his doc rejected the idea of a biopsy, but reluctantly agreed to a bone scan, where the metastasized disease was discovered. He went right into triple ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy) which knocked the PSA right down and stopped coming to the Support Group because he had formed a Rock Band – something he had always wanted to do! Last we heard from him – he used to come to our Christmas parties – was about three years later when he had some regular gigs. Truly there is a life after prostate cancer.

All the best

Terry in Australia

David;

First off don't worry. It may not be bone mets. Did you have pain before or were you ever injured in these areas?

Bone scans will pick up any area of growth and if you had a recent injury that could be the case. Bone scans are also in general poor in picking up bone mets but they are better than nothing. My mets light up like a christmas tree so there was no real question about what they were.

Have your Doc check your PAP as that will also increase during active mets to the bone.

My psa was low 9 but I had a gleason 9 with 90% involvement.

Good luck and stay healthy.

Steve B

Re: Re: I haven't heard of my situation too many times before

Steve: Thanx for the reply. You probably don't remember me but I wrote to you a couple of months ago checking to see how things were going.

My inital staging bone scan in April showed the s/i joint hot but it was determined that it was arthritic change at that point. My inital bone scan was at a different location than the recent one and of course they weren't compared to each other. My true concern is the rib, I haven't had any trauma that I know of and it didn't show on the inital scan so it is something new. To confuse things even more, I had the shot of lupron(3 month) in late April and it would seem unlikely that a new bone met would appear while the lupron was working.

Once again this damn diseaese tries to take control.

I read your updates as they come in and its obvious that you're a fighter. Keep it up! I'm praying for you.

David

Re: Re: Re: I haven't heard of my situation too many times before

Dave;

I do remember your email. Thanks. If the rib is new then it may be a met to your bone. But remember this is also manageable. I have been on Zometa for almost 2 years and even though most of the mets have been reduced sometimes a new one will pop up. This isa fu%$ing disease and i hate it. Too many men are being stricken with it and have to suffer the for the rest of their lives.

If you go here there is an excellent discussion by Dr. Strum:
http://www.prostate-cancer.org/education/boneintg/Strum_BoneIntegrityNatlHist.html

Also go here:
http://www.prostate-cancer.org/education/education.html
for some excellent resources. Probably some of the best information on the web.

Me thinks you may wish to find a new doc as this one doesn't seem to be too with it (just my opinion).

Stay well and keep your PSA low.

Steve b

David,

I just wanted to point out that a bone scan can show areas they call suspicious but are not cancer. I'll post something from an article below, you probably already know this but I wanted to pass it on just in case. So hang in there, it may be nothing but an old injury acting up or arthritis.

OUOTE

Suspicious areas on your bone scan are called Hot Spots. Having hot spots does not necessarily mean you have cancer. They are a sign of active bone cells. So they can show up anywhere where there is repair to damaged bone going on. Hot spots can show up where you have old fractures or arthritis.

Link To Article

The Stranger

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS