Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The New York Times Article: Regrets After Prostate Surgery

I ran into an article from The New York Times yesterday dated August 27, 2008 and thought others might like to read it too. There's quite a few comments below the article so take a look at them too if you read the article. I'll copy and paste a few comments I found interesting below, two of them are from MDs. I don't know why comments from Doctor's hit me harder, but they do.

The New York Times Article - Regrets After Prostate Surgery

Comments

1) I have early, non-agressive prostate cancer. I was advised by my urologist to have suprapubic prostatectomy 5 years ago. As a retired surgeon I was cautious and declined twice, took Lupron (chemical casastration, thankfully only transistory for me) and decided to do watchful waiting. I’m still watching and waiting with a stable PSA albeit with somne minor symptom and medication for symptom control. The answer is to ask your doctor if age, type, spread, concomitant diseases make you a candidate for this option. I’m thankful I took this course.

Howard J. Brandwein M.D.

2) Many diseases have a significant inflamatory.

I wonder whether years of taking ibuprophen prophylactically to reduce systemic inflamation lowers the risk of getting prostate cancer and hypertrophy.

I got interested in this because of the surprising correlation of significantly reduced Alzheimer’s in older arthritic patients on chronic ibuprophen.

MARK KLEIN, M.D.

3) You’ve got it right. My PSA jumped from 2.7 to 5.7 in one year, and I went to a urologist in anxiety. Luckily, he was the one doctor in 100 who wasn’t an alarmist. He told me the PSA test is next to worthless, that doctors make their money by giving biopsies and too often needlessly scaring the hell out of patients. He asked me if I had sex before my last test. I had no idea that could raise the number. I didn’t have sex for 48 hours, and the PSA number went back down to 2.7!
The majority of older men have some trace of cancer in their prostates, and it’s usually harmless. Yes, sometimes surgery is necessary, but most of the time it leaves the patient far worse off than if let be. Buyer beware.

mivogo

Re: The New York Times Article: Regrets After Prostate Surgery

Thanks again for an interesting link. Now I know I'm not alone in regretting getting a da Vinci. This just makes me madder and madder.

Paul A. USA

Re: The New York Times Article: Regrets After Prostate Surgery

Paul A, I know what you mean and thanks Stranger for the info. I'm actually not mad about it, I'm kind of fatalistic about it. But then I'm 62 soon to be 63 and I think if I remember that you are younger Paul.

After my failed da Vinci the guy I now see who may do HIFU to vibrate out my remaining 6 grams, said that with my pre-op pathology and my post op pathology, I may well be the guy who could have comfortably waited and watched. Which of course is what I am doing now.

To all of you who are still trying to decide, really look into the watchful waiting stuff first. It makes more sense to do that before a prostatectomy, rather than after the event - like me!

Ted from England

Re: Re: The New York Times Article: Regrets After Prostate Surgery

You're so right, Ted. They're catching this earlier and earlier. That should give most guys time to watch and wait while they explore all possible treatments. And yes, I am a bit younger (56).

Paul A. USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS