Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Failure of a robotic arm during da Vinci prostatectomy

Paul A,

After I seen that article I looked for more information and ran into this article, you might want to look at it too. The failure rate is very low but not something I thought about before. The date of the article is September 2008 so it's current data.

Robotic Equipment Malfunction During Robotic Prostatectomy

The Stranger

Re: Re: Re: Failure of a robotic arm during da Vinci prostatectomy

Thanks again. That was a very interesting article. As I would expect, the two parts most likely to fail are the arms and the optical system. While the numbers are small, I'd hate to be under the robot when it did fail. I'm surprised at the long interval between maintenance (6 months). The other spooky part is that they upgrade the software twice a year. Anyone who deals with SW upgrades can tell you that they are approached with caution. A seemingly simple patch can cause unexpected problems.

Paul A, USA

Re: Failure of a robotic arm during da Vinci prostatectomy

When I went through the process of selecting a surgeon for my Robotic surgery always asked how many robotic surgeries they had done, whether they had every had an robot failures and what the options are if a failure occurred.

The surgeon I chose kept very thorough records of all patients and in over 1000 operations there were a couple of failures... I don't remember the exact numbers but I think only one failure occurred after the surgery had started and the procedure was finished with traditional laproscopic tools.

Regards, David

David W - me too - I asked my surgeon about failures of the machine. I don't remember the exact details but he said I was lucky because it had failed or broken down just the week before. It cost tens of thousands of pounds to repair and service. I don't know if anyone was being operated on at the time.

On the day of the op I had to sign a form saying that I agreed to a transfer procedure in case of robot failure which meant they would revert to an open prostatectomy. (I sometimes wonder if that is the route I should have gone down anyway, since he left 6 grams in me, even though his robot was working perfectly!)

Ted from England

Guys;

This is just plain inexcusable. A problem like this should never occur. What is strange is that the reports are in technical journals and not in the main stream news. I had never heard of this before. The main stream media ought to be informed. People ought to be told that these crazy robotic things will fail occasionally.

I suspect a coverup.

At times like this i am happy with my T4 status at least i still have my prostate. I may be burried in a couple years but they won't get my prostate.

This is the things that nightmares are made of.

Steve B

Of course there's a coverup. I design medical electronics. One of our client's products (one that I did not design, BTW) caught fire in a hospital. The client refuses to allow me to say that in the investigation that I conducted. They want me to say that the unit overheated. I repeated the test in another unit and it caught fire in front of witnesses. They are still digging in their heels. Neither investigative report has been approved yet.

Paul A. USA

Steve B,

That's exactly what I thought when I seen that story and the very reason I posted it here, so the people that frequent this website can spread the word that there are problems with the robotic procedure that you must be aware of. I have worked in high technology my whole life so failures of electronic equipment is nothing new to me, but I will admit before seeing that story it just didn't sink in that a robotic procedure was something to be concerned about, as in failure of the robot during surgery.

So inexcusable is the word I'd use too.

The Stranger

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS