Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Venlafaxine/Effexor for flashes

It's the middle of the night and my husband is hot cold, hot cold again.I take venlafaxine for my menopausal hot flashes. Are there any guys out there who have taken this. If so how successfull/unsuccessful was it for them.

Re: Venlafaxine/Effexor for flashes

Hi Jennie,
I was prescribed Megace up to 40 mg./day and it seemed to work well while I was on it. I discontinued after a couple months due to weight gain. One must be careful that medication taken for hot flashes does not interfere with the ADT regimine. I'm not familiar with the drugs you mention but they seem to be anti-depressant type by their names. In any case this is a subject that should be discussed with your husband's doctor - those hot flashes can drive you crazy! - p (Alaska, USA)

Re: Re: Venlafaxine/Effexor for flashes

In addition to the Megamace, I have heard that the taking of 800 units of Vit.E daily and the eating of soy products can help.

Lenny Hirsch
Chairman
The Living with Prostate Cancer Foundation
Israel

Neurontin Re: Venlafaxine/Effexor for flashes

Hello Jennie -

My Dad was recently prescribed Neurontin for his hot flashes and it has helped him tremendously! He too was hot and cold at night...and still has hot flashes, but the frequency has been greatly reduced.

He was prescribed 300mg capsules with instructions to take 2-3 times a day. He has been on it about 2 weeks. It started helping him immediately and he has experience no side affects so far.

Neurontin is a non-hormonal drug. As I understand it, it was orginally formulated for epilepsy, but is now commony used in relatively small doses for nerve pain and hot flashes. Here is a link where you can learn more about it http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73010.php

I have read on other discussion boards of other men having success with Neurontin as well.

Worth asking the doctor about...good luck, I do hope you find something that will work for your husband soon!

Cindy

Re: Venlafaxine/Effexor for flashes

Hi Jennie,

I suffered absolutely no hot flashes during my 30 months on hormone therapy.

Lenny said something in his post which may be highly relevant.
I went completely 'dairy-free' soon after my diagnosis, and my diet is very high in SOY products.....Soya milk, tofu, soya beans etc.

I hope this may be of some help.

Very Best Wishes,

George

England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS