Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How common is our 'Low Mood' and 'Uncoping Stress'?

Guys I had 9 months of ADT prior to EBRT. For about 15 months my personality simply was not me. I understood the physiology of what chemical castration does, but I was nonetheless helpless to rectify my abnormal mental status quo. I am now 7 months post EBRT, and my old self is slowly returning.

Re: Re: How common is our 'Low Mood' and 'Uncoping Stress'?

Hi,
My husband (Fred), is one year post EBERT and HDR and 10 months post ADT (he elected not to get any more lupron shots after his second one). To date, the effects of the lupron are still present. It seems to me though, that as of late, his mood has been different. He has been crankier than usual. I wonder, could it be that even though it is not evident to us, that his testosterone is coming back and therefore so is aggressiveness? Just a thought. While going through the treatments, he grew very tired and it was then that I saw his emotional side changing also. More passive, more emotional and caring. This depletion (and then coming back), of testosterone....what is really known about this.

By the way....My husband found a renewness to life when he also bought an old classic to restore. I thank God for finding this and for giving him something to be excited about. It is a 1967 RS SS Camaro....Has been his dream to restore one...
Thanks,
Doreen

I was on ADT for 6 months ending April 22nd. Depressiion was a problem as it caused me to dwell on the lost of sexual function and the worry about whether it would even come back. I was assured that the testosterone should come back except in a few case involving much older men than me. However, that did not really help as one does not know in which statistical populations you fit. What I found to be the hardest was that things that would not affect me very much emotionally were now having a great impact. It seems that I had a huge amount of empathy for those involved in difficult situations to the point of upsetting me. This emotionally upset has continued for some time after I finished with the ADT. I am now 5 month post ADT but still experiencing the side effects. My testosterone level is starting to rise as I just had it tested last week and it has gone from <.69 to .92, (range is 5 to 28nmol/L) not much of an increase but it has started.

George and All;

This stupid disease sucks. It sucks real bad. But the treatment is even worse. I have been on ADT for 18 months now and I have become androgen independent. That is a real bummer. The high point in my month is when I get my PSA reading. Hoping it will finally go down. It has not yet. Mine is up to 3.6 now and everything we have thrown at it does'nt work.

ADT wrecks your thought processes. Forget about sex. No urge left. and with the stress of seeing my PSA go up for the last 6 months, it gets a bit much.

But what the heck any way.

Stay healthy.

Steve B

Dear Steve,

It can 'suck' as you say, BUT you must never give up hope. The one thing that has stayed with me is utter determination to beat this damn illness.

My low moods are getting me angry with myself, yes - but it was also my anger which helped me fight so hard when the urologist 'wrote me off' back in April 2005.

I reckon that if I have managed to get from PSA 182 with T4 tumour down to my present PSA of 1.0 (after a year without meds) then I can also get through stress and depression.

Steve? I think life DOES give you a kicking at times, but we have to lift ourselves up and kick back like crazy!

It's easier said than done, I know. The first hurdle is getting the will to begin the fightback.
A very wise cancer fighter, a woman, once told me to listen to my body. If you feel tired, then rest up and let your body re-charge itself. It has a big fight on its hands and needs all your energy for that.

I wish you total success. Kick back and win! :)

Very best wishes,

George

England

Hi again folks,

It seems my post may have given the impression I got from PSA 182 down to 1.0 without meds. No way, but how I wish that was the case!

I was diagnosed early 2005 and began treatment of hormone therapy immediately, and also had 37 RT sessions.

I was on Zoladex(Lupron) for almost 2 years and then moved to Casodex 150 for 7 months. After seeing my PSA stable at <0.1 for over a year my onco agreed I could cease casodex in September 2007. So...I have just ended my first year med free.

Hope this clears thing up.

The full story is on the mentors' pages:

http://www.yananow.net/Mentors/GeorgeH.htm

Very Best Wishes,

George

England

I understand what you mean.
My opeation (August this year)was successful in removing the cancer (at this stage anyhow). Yet whilst i felt great about this I got very depressed about the damage done to me. Wetting yourself and impotence. I lost my sense of self, my self esteem and value. I couldn't see how I could have value to someone. no doubt this was very important to me because earlier this year I started a new relationship with a wonderful lady and I started worrying that I could be all she wanted and needed. I live alone and instaed of talking about it I got into a downward spiral that drove me to break the relationship off. It was wrong as I cut away my support network.
I regretted it as soon as it was done.
i am now on medication which is helping and working on trying to rebuild.
My sense of self worth has started to return as I gain control on continence and i am hopeful of return of erectile function.
Depression is a very real side effect and one I believe is ignored by the medical professionals.
I felt guilty for being down whe everyone was saying how lucky I was (cancer removed).

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS