Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: False Negative PSA

Yes, that is exactly right.

Re: False Negative PSA

First of all, John if your PSA has gone to negligible, just allow yourself to be happy and relax.

But I know what you mean about not trusting it. I was PSA 2.64 before my TURP operation in Novemebr 2006. As a result of biopsies during that op, small amounts of cancer at Gleason 3 3 were discovered.

But 3 months later, whilst I was watching and waiting my PSA went down to 0.99 - yet I knew I had cancer. It then went to 1.18 and then 1.75, which is when I decided on the Da Vinci.

The Da Vinci failed to remove all the prostate and the 6 grams of tissue I am left with gives off a PSA of between 0.76 and 0.81. (Let's round that to 0.8).

I have had 2 sequential,differentiated "Rolls Royce" MRI's and 3 urologists tell me that the PSA seems to be consistent and to do nothing yet. They are fairly sure my tissue is benign tissue behind the bladder neck. Eventually I will probably go in for prostate mapping, but just now I am intervention averse!

My cancer discovered on prostate removal was small at 0.3cc volume, with a good pathology. (No spread, etc.). One of my urologists says I may be the guy who didn't need the op at all. (Nice to know that now!!)

The point of my story for you, is that my PSA unlike yours, never went to zero, although it was always low. You on the other hand seem to have had a succesful op, with good post operative pathology. But like me, you will have to watch the PSA as a sequence, not just a one off number.

It's great for now that it's zero. It will still be great even if it goes up a little. The problem will be if it keeps going up, or even if it goes up AND down. In other words watch for volatility.

Meanwhile enjoy your time at zero!

Ted from England

Re: Re: False Negative PSA

I am going to the oncologist today. I am still thinking about radiation. I would like to find out if radiation is as effective when you have rising PSA(metastases present) or if you do it directly after surgery when PSA is negligible!? I have not found a study like this.

Re: False Negative PSA

John,
There are several studies in recent years that were designed to answer your question. And there are many followup analyses of the data in these studies, in an attempt to further refine the conclusions. Here is one URL:
http://oncology.researchtoday.net/archive/2/7/154.htm

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS