Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hormonal therapy vs doing nothing

My husband just had a prostatectomy and was later advised that the cancer had spead to his lymph nodes. He was given the option of hormonal therapy but he is thinking of doing nothing because of the side effects that are part of the therapy.. Is there anyone out there who is in the same situation. My husband would rather die of the disease of cancer than to experience impotence,hot flashes, osteoporosis, ect...

Re: hormonal therapy vs doing nothing

Hi;

I have been on ADT for 18 months and have failed. My PSA is rising. My cancer was Dx late and I did not have the option of surgery. So for me the choice was clear. Death or ADT. ADT if it is used should be used as ADT3. After 12 months of undetectable PSA your husband can go off ADT and just take Avodat. Many men have done this and have been off ADT for several years.

That would be my suggestion.

Is your husband's Bone Scan clear, or does he have bone mets?

Best wishes, Db and Steve from NJ

I had 6 months of hormone therapy with radiation after a failed prostatectomy. The side effects are not fun but at least I'm alive. The big problems were fatigue, hot flashes and impotence. Despite still having the side effects after stopping ADT, I feel on top of the world (relatively speaking). It's better than a painful death. Your husband may want to see a mental health professional to discuss his issues.

Paul A. RI, USA

Hormone therapy or radiation is possible. With hormone therapy, yes, you are going to have side effects and loss of erectile function but this may have already occurred from the surgery. Even though there are many side effects to ADT (androgen deprivation therapy), these side effects are generally reversible--it just takes time. I took ADT for 6 months. I am now off the ADT for 5 months and I am still waiting for the testosterone to come back. According to my urologist it can take upto a year with unfortunately, a small number of men never getting the testosterone back but according to him this is occurs in much older men than me, who is 61 years old.
Radiation can be use but it can cause damage to many of the surrounding tissues such as the bladder, rectal wall,nerve bundles, bladder sphincter etc.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS