Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Protection after catheter removal

Carol,
Glad to hear that your husband is doing well. I used two different pads. I never needed a full "diaper". I started with a maximum strength men's pad similar to the familiar women's product. The difference is that for men, it is shaped somewhat like an athletic cup to allow a place for the privates to reside. I think I used the CVS store brand. After six weeks, I changed to a much thinner, unisex pad made by Tena.

When you go to have the catheter removed, bring a pair of briefs. (I wore nothing but sweat pants while I had my catheter in - no underwear.) You'll need them to give the pad's adhesive backing something to hold on to. Also, completely remove your pants/sweats or you will get them wet. (Sorry, that sounded wrong. Have your husband remove his pants.)

Don't let the doctor try to sell you on one of those contraptions (Texas condom or the penis clamp). Stick with the pads, they are the most comfortable.

Good luck,

Paul A from RI, USA

Re: Protection after catheter removal

Same as Paul A. here. I did buy 1 pack of the full diaper type briefs and wore them the first night. I stayed dry that first night so never used them again. I also started with the CVS brand thickest pads and gradually moved down to the thin ones over a 3 month period.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS