Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ADT and cholesterol

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before but has anyone had higher cholesterol after using Lupron or Casodex? I had my first cholesterol test since starting ADT five months ago and my level is much higher. My doctor has increased the pravastatin dose as a result. Is this just coincidence?

Paul A. RI, USA

Re: ADT and cholesterol

Yep.

See Below.
Laboratory: Abnormalities of certain parameters were observed, but their relationship to drug
treatment is difficult to assess in this population. The following were recorded in = 5% of
patients: Decreased bicarbonate, Decreased hemoglobin/hematocrit/RBC, Hyperlipidemia
(total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, triglycerides), Decreased HDL-cholesterol, Eosinophilia,
Increased glucose, Increased liver function tests (ALT, AST, GGTP, LDH), Increased
phosphorus. Additional laboratory abnormalities were reported: Increased BUN and PT,
Leukopenia, Thrombocytopenia, Uricaciduria.

When I starte on it about 18 months ago mine went up to 250 total. For the last 8 months I have been on a low fat (no red meat, dairy) and mine dropped to 175.

So this ADT is not healthy but we have to as patients be aware of possible side effects and do what we can to reduce them.

Best of luck.

Steve B

My HDL and LDL counts have been going up every 3 months when I have tests after my Zoladex shot. My GP says not to worry, that when/if I get off ADT shots the cholesterol will go down. I also have gone to almost a total vegeterian diet. My ratio of HDL and LDL is about 4 and the high one is 284 I think.

Aloha Paul A,
Just as a note, I have HBV, and the last DNA count was 114000. Just had a DNA count and it was 5010. Was on Lupron Depot 3 months shots for a year. No one thinks, even the HBV National foundation web-site, that this is related. It just happens, for what ever reason.

Hi Paul,
Well my cholesterol levels rose sharply whilst on ADT but have settled again following cessation.
John

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS