Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Continuous Incontinence

Hi Dino,
My situation is similar to yours but for different reasons. I had surgery in 2006 and had significant incontinence but it resolved quickly (2 months). However I had to have salvage radiation and two cystoscopy procedures to clear scar tissue in the urethra which resulted in a return to severe incontinence. I'm OK at night or while sitting but as soon as I get up it's a race to the bathroom before a pad leaks through. If I was working or otherwise active I'd hardly get to pee at all, just leak and change pads (10-12 a day).

I'm waiting for a consult for an artificial urinary sphincter but in the interim I have found that a penile clamp works well and is less uncomfortable than I had imagined. I still wear a pad, just in case, but with the right adjustment I can stay dry and have my bladder fill and void almost normally. There can be some discomfort that seems to be urine trapped between the clamp and the remains of my urinary sphincter but that can be relieved with an extra urination.

If, as Terry suggests, your problem is due to failure of the sutures in the urethra/bladder then clamping off the urethra might be dangerous and you should certainly consult your doctor. However I have found the clamp solution to be much better than the inconvenience and embarassment of soaked pads and clothing.

Best wishes,
Bill N

Re: Re: Continuous Incontinence

Thanks, Bill.

You don't paint a happy picture but I have good news today. Last night, I was awoken 5 times by feelings of urgency and I was able to make it to the bathroom and actually feel relief after peeing. Just like that. All of a sudden after 8 weeks and 2 days. It appears I'm in sync with your recovery. Sitting and lying down are OK. Walking around is still a problem but even this progress is a great relief to me. I have a 20% chance that I will need additional treatment. The first PSA after surgery is in September. Hopefully, you took that bullet for me. Hope you manage OK. I don't think I could bear it.

Re: Re: Re: Continuous Incontinence

Dino,
Have you started Kegel excersizes? When I told the nurse that I had started Kegel, she said that they tell everyone, but not the males!!!
Joe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Continuous Incontinence

Hi Joe,

Yes. I started those after the surgery. They just said to do them. My research shows that half the doctors think they are useless and half swear by them. They are free so it can't hurt. I started doing 200-300 a day. That's too many. Finally my doctor said do 10 reps of 10 seconds each 10 times a day. That 100, 10 second kegels a day. I spread them out. Usually when I change the diaper or am reading.

Re: Continuous Incontinence

My Dad has surgery about 3 months ago. He had servere incontinance for like first 7 weeks were he was using approximately 10 to 15 Depends per day. He is now down to using 3 a day...it will get better make sure you do your Kegels

Re: Re: Continuous Incontinence

Thanks. I just started getting better. Wish the docs would give you a head up on this stuff instead of just saying there is no need to worry yet.

I appreciate your support.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS