Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: radiation therapy post surgery for rising psa

I found a blog that I found interesting and I think it relates to your question.
I am attaching the link below. Go through the archives and start at the beginning. You will find him to be honest about what to expect.
http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com/

Tony
Palm Springs, CA

I just finished 40 radiation treatments after a failed robotic surgery. My oncologist also used ADT. There are two sets of side effects to watch: short term and long term. I experienced an irritable bowel (frequent diarrhea, frequent urination, fatigue, skin discomfort and depression. The long term effects may include continued bowel and urinary problems as well as a chance of radiation-induced cancer in previously healthy tissue. I think all things considered, radiation is better than doing nothing.

Paul A. USA

2001 had 36 treatments (one per weekday)

No major side effect through first 30 treatments.

increasing tiredness in last 6.
psa lowered to .3; however, it has risen again. go for bone scan and prostascint tomorrow.

I just completed my fourth week of EBRT and to be truthful, I expected more side effects than I am experiencing. Second week in some diarrhea which was cured with an over-the-counter med, once in a while some slight irritation while urinating. The only thing I complained to the oncologist was being tired, however working 50-55 hours per week in not helping.
Had surgery 3 years ago and PSA started rising. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have but looking at some of the replies, I think you've got it covered.

Good Luck with whatever decision/therapy you go with.

JoJo, forgot to mention that you should talk to your doctors/advisors about Cone Radiation (linear accellerator) that has minimal effect on surrounding organs such as bladder, rectum, etc. Reports on this relatively new technique are slow coming in but logically, sparing those organs of the radiation makes sense. That's the route I took after talking to many.

Once again, good luck.

Jack, USA

Re: Re: radiation therapy post surgery for rising psa

Not mentioned so far is Hormone Treatment. I have been on Intermittent Casopdex treatment far the last seven years after failed surgery. Little to no side effects.

If you are interested in more details, feel free to contact me.

Lenny
Israel

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS