Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: not sure what is meant by perineural invasion

I was reading a book this morning by Sheldon Marks,MD called Prostate and Cancer (third edition) and the question was asked in there on page 83 "What does perineural invasion on the biopsy mean?" and his answer is " Perineural invasion means that the cancer is showing signs of more aggressiveness. It is not invasion of the nerves that cause erections."

nettie (USA)

Re: not sure what is meant by perineural invasion

I am not sure that Nettie has correctly understood the issue here with PNI. I am not familiar with Doctor Marks or the context of the quote from him. But what is not made clear in the quote is whether he is talking about PNI in the biopsy that preceded diagnosis OR the pathology AFTER surgery.

As I said in my earlier post, PNI at the diagnostic biopsy rings an alarm bell because it could, possibly, maybe, indicate that the cancer has spread to the outside of the prostate capsule or that it is moving in that direction.

This is completely different to finding PNI when the prostate is removed, because then, at THAT point, the pathologist can see as a matter of FACT if there is any spread outside.

So, if on prostatectomy, the excised gland has clear margins and no extra capsular penetration, the PNI which may have been discovered at biopsy will not be regarded as having any significance. Which is why many pathologists do not even bother to report it when found in those conditions after surgical removal of the gland.

Ted from England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS