Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Over 3yrs now since bleak prognosis

Hi friends,

After my biospy in April 2005 revealed a T4 tumour with spread to seminal vesicle and pelvic wall my urologist told me I had 2 or 3 years left. I had just celebrated my 54th Birthday the previous week.

How wrong could that man have been??

On Tuesday 13th May (last week) I had an appointment with my oncologist. He told me my latest results: PSA 1.1 - and a very healthy and normal testosterone level.

He was amazed and delighted to see such results after I had been without any medications for 36 weeks. In September 2007 I had stopped the ADT after just 30 months rather than stay the full 36 month course as planned.

The onco told me that, considering the parameters at diagnosis (PSA 182, T4 etc), these results were remarkable.
His precise words to me: "Whatever you're doing...don't change a darn thing.".

I really can't say for sure WHY I am continuing to do so well.

I changed my diet completely within a month of diagnosis, going totally non-dairy and following the Jane Plant program so maybe that's a factor, BUT I also believe my radiotherapy was very accurate (37 treatments IGRT) and that the Zoladex (Lupron) implants, and later the casodex 150 tablets did exactly the job they were intended to do (much as I detested them because of the side-effects).

The third factor might be my use of supplements, particularly those containing phytoestrogens and of course my preference for upping my Vit D levels with D3 Cholecalciferol capsules.

As I say, I really don't know. Perhaps it is the combination of all these things.

All I do know is that I feel incredibly lucky to be alive, I haven't seen the dreaded PSA 'Surge'that has hit some of my PCa friends after ceasing meds, and that the oncologist is dead right. I DARE NOT change one thing.

I hope my message will bring a little hope and optimism to anyone reading this who has had the misfortune to have been given the bleakest of prognoses by the most pessimistic of urologists - as was certainly my own experience!

Warmest Wishes,

George

England

Re: Over 3yrs now since bleak prognosis

DELIGHTED TO HEAR OF YOUR CONTINUING SUCCESS...IN THE WORDS OF THE TV SERIES "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
WOULD YOU TELL ME MORE CONCERNING YOUR VITAMIN D INTAKE, TYPE, DOSAGE, ETC. ?

George,

Your good news is good for us all.

When you are diagnosed with a PSA in triple digits, no one offers much optimism.

I hope to follow in your footsteps.
Lead the way.

Tony-USA

Tony,

You're half way there when you retain hope and optimism, no matter how dark some months are.

Patrick, I researched the Vit D issue as thoroughly as I could, and everything I read guided me to take the following doseage:
A daily average of 4000iu of D3 Cholecaliferol.

I am unable to buy capsules of that strength in England so I get my supplies from a highly reputable FDA approved source in the USA.
We don't advertise on here, but if you mail me I could tell you the name of the company.

The capsules are each 5000iu and to get my correct daily intake I have one for five days of one week and 6 days the next week.

My starting 'Total Vit D' about 9 months ago was a shocking 25, and although it's taken a while, it is now up to 40. I'm hoping to get it stable at around 80.

Of course, what would REALLY boost it would be a long, hot English summer......but my chances of seeing more than about a 'warmish' 3 weeks are around the same as the odds for winning the UK National Lottery. Perhaps I too should emigrate to Oz like Terry. : )

Best Wishes,

George

George,

That's great news! Thank you so much for the update and best wishes for continued good health.

Regards, David

Re: Re: Over 3yrs now since bleak prognosis

Well done George. It is always great to hear stories such as your own.......it tends to make everyone a little more optimistic. Long may your success continue.
Bill Mac

Great work George. Continue to inspire and aspire.

JohnC

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS