Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Recently Diagnosed and Panicking

DON'T FORGET TO LOOK INTO CYBERKNIFE. I WAS NOT ELIGIBLE WITH A GLEASON OF 8 AND DID IMRT BUT A MEMBER OF MY SUPPORT GROUP WENT TO FLORIDA RECENTLY TO HAVE CYBERKNIFE AND IS ENORMOUSLY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS.

Re: Recently Diagnosed and Panicking

I quite understand fear and or depression when you fantasize about RP. You put it quite clear comparing it with a gall bladder operation, where problems are solved, whereas an RP primarily creates problems.

But why an RP? There are other treatment options and there is the option of no initial treatment and see what happens.

Waht is your age?

You say you are a Type A. Couldn't you try to change to become a Type B? This could involve help by a councellor.

Best regards,

Henk Scholten, The Netherlands

Re: Re: Recently Diagnosed and Panicking

Hi Henk--

Thanks for your post. I am 58 years old with a PSA of 17.1 and a Gleason 7. I don't feel that watchful waiting is a viable option for me. I will admit that this whole PCa thing is new to me and I have been learning over the past couple of months. I feel that RP is my best option as it is less traumatic than open surgery with a considerably quicker return to normal activities (I just want to get back to normal - whatever that is or will be after the surgery - as quickly as possible).

Because of my Type A personality and because of my wife's and grown son's concerns about me, the doctors that I have talked with and my family (as well as myself) all agree that it would be best to get the gland out so that it can be determined if the disease is confined to to the gland or not. If one has radiation (either external or with the radioactive seeds) you never really know about the extent of the disease. Once radiation has been done you cannot (for all practical purposes) go back and do surgery, but if you have the surgery and it is determined that more treatment is needed you can still have radiation.

Henk, I have sought the help of a therapist, something
I should have done many years ago (perhaps one of the very few good things that has come out of this). Between talking to him and taking the prescribed medication , I feel that I am doing better, but I don't believe that one can change their personality type. In my way of thinking it is like your eye color, hair color, etc. It is what it is.

Again, thanks for your post.

Sincerely,

Jim S.

Re: Recently Diagnosed and Panicking

Hey Jim,
I don't want to confuse you but do you have statistics on RP monotherapy success rates with a PSA of 17? You might want to check on this. Best wishes Pat (Alaska, USA)

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS