Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: urgency

Tom,
Perhaps this feeling urgency may be due to the catheter balloon irritating your bladder. A small balloon is inflated with sterile water within your bladder (to prevent the catheter from falling out)so I would think it would not be unusual for it to irritate the bladder internally if it (or you)move about a bit.
Bill

I once had a urethral catheter after a surgery for a torn knee cartilage and it did exactly the same thing of giving me the impression that I had to go to the bathroom but it was a bowel movement. I was lucky in that I only needed it a short time because I had a spinal and the bladder area is the last to get muscle control. The end of the catheter tube projects out from the tiny water-filled balloon and this end can tickle the bladder wall or even put pressure on the rectal wall as it did to me. Unfortunately, the nurse wanted to leave it in longer than necessary so that is how I discovered that unpleasant sensation of constantly needing to go to the bathroom. The second time I had to be cathetered it lasted five days and I did not experience the same problem. This is the result of a smaller width of catheter. The smaller widths create less problem. Changing your body position in sitting and lying to find a more confortable one will help to reduce your discomfort.

Re: Re: urgency

Thanks TV.

Ya know after i wrote that message i started to track when i had the urge the most and found that before a bowel movement or passing gas was one of the worst times. Even after the BM the urge continues but not as bad.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I once had a urethral catheter after a surgery for a torn knee cartilage and it did exactly the same thing of giving me the impression that I had to go to the bathroom but it was a bowel movement. I was lucky in that I only needed it a short time because I had a spinal and the bladder area is the last to get muscle control. The end of the catheter tube projects out from the tiny water-filled balloon and this end can tickle the bladder wall or even put pressure on the rectal wall as it did to me. Unfortunately, the nurse wanted to leave it in longer than necessary so that is how I discovered that unpleasant sensation of constantly needing to go to the bathroom. The second time I had to be cathetered it lasted five days and I did not experience the same problem. This is the result of a smaller width of catheter. The smaller widths create less problem. Changing your body position in sitting and lying to find a more confortable one will help to reduce your discomfort.

I had surgery on 4/8 and had the catheter out two days ago . Yes I felt like I had to pee. I had that thing in for two eeks and it was literally a pain i the you know what.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS