Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flomax (Tamsulosin)

George,

I haven't heard or read of such problems but 30 months is a long time to stay on Flomax.
I've been on it 6 or 7 months now.
I started a month or so before RT and had to bump it up to 2 tablets daily during RT. I was able to drop back down to 1 tab about 3 weeks post-radiation.

Five more weeks went by and my flow was as good or better that it was pre-diagnosis. I thought I might be able to slowly get off of it completely.
I hoped to go to a 2 days on, 1 day off schedule, if that worked okay I would give it a little more time and go 2 days off one day on. From there it shouldn't be too long before discontinuing it.

However, after only one day off I noticed a significant slowing of urine flow.
I decided that I would wait a little longer and try again.

What I don't understand is this.
If the radiation has done it's work, the tumor is receding.
My prostate was very enlarged at diagnosis but shrank dramatically after two months of HT.
If not the tumor and not BPH, what can account for the continuing restriction? Is it scar tissue?

I really hope I can get to a point where I don't need this med anymore. If that doesn't happen on it's own, I suppose I will have to consider TURP.

Tony - USA

Re: Re: Flomax (Tamsulosin)

Tony think long and hard about a TURP. Uretheral stricture and scarring risk is significantly increased after TURP following RT.

I developed severe urinary flow problems requiring catherisation in my last week of RT. I am now 8 weeks post RT and still have an indwelling catheter. Tried to remove it a 3 weeks post RT and failed miserably. Trying again next week, which will be 8 weeks post RT but this time trying Flomax as well. So frankly I would like to be in your situation. A TURP is not something that I would relish.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

George,

I haven't heard or read of such problems but 30 months is a long time to stay on Flomax.
I've been on it 6 or 7 months now.
I started a month or so before RT and had to bump it up to 2 tablets daily during RT. I was able to drop back down to 1 tab about 3 weeks post-radiation.

Five more weeks went by and my flow was as good or better that it was pre-diagnosis. I thought I might be able to slowly get off of it completely.
I hoped to go to a 2 days on, 1 day off schedule, if that worked okay I would give it a little more time and go 2 days off one day on. From there it shouldn't be too long before discontinuing it.

However, after only one day off I noticed a significant slowing of urine flow.
I decided that I would wait a little longer and try again.

What I don't understand is this.
If the radiation has done it's work, the tumor is receding.
My prostate was very enlarged at diagnosis but shrank dramatically after two months of HT.
If not the tumor and not BPH, what can account for the continuing restriction? Is it scar tissue?

I really hope I can get to a point where I don't need this med anymore. If that doesn't happen on it's own, I suppose I will have to consider TURP.

Tony - USA

Hi Tony,

You brought up a point that had me puzzled for a while too.

Why is urine flow still restricted after the prosate tumour has been zapped and shrivelled to a fraction of it's size?

I put this to my onco about a year after the end of RT and he assured me it was simply because the radiation had shrunk my bladder...hence reduced capacity and more time spent peeing....you dont fully discharge your urine each time you pee.

You know me, lol, I believe nothing the medics say till I've done some homework among my fellow PCa friends, BUT, I do believe he's correct on this issue.

Incidentally, I had experimented with Flomax doseage many times over the 30 months, but only recently have I been able to stop completely.

I am still awaiting my ECG result but a blood result has revealed an infection. probably in chest, so perhaps this is connected to my palpitations?

Doctor doesn't think so, but I'm sure it's the case.

Best Wishes,

George

England

George,

I hope your EKG comes back good.
Let us know.

As for the Onco's explanation, that doesn't quite seem logical.
If the radiation shrunk your bladder, I could see how that would translate into increase frequency.
I don't see how a smaller bladder could account for restricted flow.
Maybe there is a piece of that puzzle I'm not seeing.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yep, it's a puzzle (within an engma, lol).

Well, I have some results, and am even more puzzled.
ECG reveals possible anterior infarction, so I need the treadmill test and possibly the 24hr holter.

Blood test revealed high white cell count and neutrophils, indicating an infection somewhere in this battered body!

It must be just coincidence, surely, that all this has happened since I ceased the Flomax.

And about these results? I ain't worried...Just friggin annoyed! But, that's typical me, I suppose. : )

Best Wishes

George

England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS