Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kegels - How often?

My doctor told me every hour. I forget now how long he said to hold them but it was around 5-10 seconds I think (and ten times, I think?). Holding longer, or doing more of them, will, like in any other muscle, lead to fatigue but will ultimately lead to better endurance. Fatigue towards evening is inevitable at first but I found that went away within a fwe months after surgery.

Never do kegels with the catheter in - it's a recipe for bladder spasms. I did one once, without thinking about it, and never made that mistake again.

I'm a bit surprised by how many men here don't seem to have started them before surgery. My uro had me start the day he told me I was positive and did them irregularly but daily until my surgery 3 months later. Initially, I found I had trouble finding the right musle group but with practice I got that right. Like you, I had trouble remembering to do them so would just do as many as I could until I needed a break. I also would occassionally let my bladder fill up (very full) and then do kegels - figured it was adding weight/difficulty (my own personal take on things - never mentioned it to a doctor to see if they thought it was helpful).

Dan

Re: Kegels - How often?

I also started doing them as soon as I was diagnosed. At first I did them while actually going to the bathroom. This helped find the right muscles. I was doing them this way until I ready somewhere on the internet that this could harm the bladder. I then did them as Dan, as often as I could remember during the day. The progress seemd to be much faster once I started doing them this way. I had the daVinci surgery on January 25th, and as of last week, only wear a pad while bicycling and dirt bike riding. Jogging is not even a problem although sprinting does cause a small leak.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS