Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: adovart

sorry
here are my stats, 4.2 psa, 3+3 gleason score, 1 of 12 cores postive @5%, T1c.
Had second reading of biospy same results

One of my concerns is were the cancer is, in the Apex
area, not much "meat" their.

I am setting up a appointment for a MRIS.

RENO

Re: adovart

First of all, ultrasound is not an accurate way of determining the presence of PC, otherwise the needle biopsy procedure would be obsolete as it is very invasive.
Second, do you have PC or BPH? If you do have cancer you should have gotten a report concerning staging, PSA, and Gleason score. If there's no cancer or it's low risk, Avodart might be a good choice to shrink the prostate to relieve symptoms. If it's intermediate or high rish the standard might be Lupron or Zoladex to shrink the prostate to stem PC growth and/or for further treatment.
Sounds to me that you have either had an inconclusive diagnosis or that further research on your part is needed to find a medical opinion that you can live with. - p (Alaska, USA)

Re: adovart

I was given Zoladex and Casodex to shrink my prostate for Albatherm HIFU. The Zoladex is an implant in the fat layer in the abdomen. Later I had to change the Casodex to Avadart as the prostate was not shrinking anymore. When I scheduled the HIFU treatment which by the way I had to change to Sonablate as the prostate was still too large for Albatherm, by that time both urologists told me that the hormone treatment would stop the growth of the cancer. The Sonablate urologist went further in stating that there are two types of prostate cancer cells; stem prostate cancer cells and the metastatic prostate cancer cells. The deprivation of testosterone causes the metastatic prostate cancer cells to die because they need it to live and grow but the stem prostate cancer cells don't require testosterone to live and as a consequence they will live in the prostate as it shrinks. So, the cancer will not continue to grow or spread. When the treatment is stopped,the testosterone comes back and the stem cancer cells start growing and some change into the metastatic prostate cancer cells and start spreading again.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS