Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Post surgery PSA

My numbers were also almost identical to yours. PSA 4.2 and Gleason 6. I had the DaVinci RP January 24 2008. The surgery went well, but the pathology report came back with a positive margin. Am awaiting the first post surgery PSA which will be March 3 2008, then will meet with the doctor March 13 for the results. So even with low numbers, there is a chance that there will be some left behined. My tumor was on the top edge and according tot he patholoy, some cells may be present on the bladder. The PSA next week will tell if my body was able to deal with it.
(Lee Cal. USA)

Re: Post surgery PSA

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
However, it sounds like your case was caught early and the tumor appears to be very small.

You are correct that once the prostate is removed, the cancer will be gone, IF the sum total of the cancer is contained within the prostate.

In your case that seems very likely.

During the operation the surgeon will biopsy the lymph glands and the tissues around the prostate.
After the operation, the removed gland will be checked by a pathologist to make sure that no cancerous tissue is found near the outer surfaces of the prostate.

If the margins are clear and nothing turns up in the nodes and adjacent tissues, it's likely that it's over and you are cured.

You should understand though, that only time will tell for sure.
Within a month or so after your operation, your PSA should fall to near undetectable levels and stay there.

The reason for the lingering concern is the possiblity that microscopic bits of the original tumor may have broken away and migrated to other parts of the body.

Because of this, you will not be considered "cured" until your blood provides a low and stable PSA reading over an extended period of time following the surgery.
That's why the testing will go on.

I don't want to discourage you because your chances for a surgical cure appear to be excellent.
The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

You should also know that even if the PSA begins to rise after surgery, there are other treatments such as radiation that may yet provide you a cure.

You're going to be fine. Have faith.

Tony - USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS