Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: wide or narrow radiation?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Just looked at the Roach study and some comments on it- I think I can see both sides of the issue pretty well- it just bothers me that I need to make the decision...

Good to hear that the radiation is behind you- may you continue to feel good results!

Is the 81 GY dose you mentioned experimental, or is it standard? Seems to me I heard numbers closer to 75 here...

Menachem

Bear in mind that whole pelvic radiation is generally reserved for patients that are locally advanced and considered high risk. If there is any reason to believe that the cancer may have migrated to the lymph nodes, then whole pelvic is in order.
In my case, even though there was no concrete evidence, I had some slightly enlarged pelvic nodes and a very high PSA.
That was enough justification in the mind of my doctor.
As to the dose, in radiotherapy it is known that the higher the dose, the better the response.
81Gy may not be necessary in all cases but I had a high volume tumor.
My doctors shrank it with HT and blasted it.
I had a lot of trepidation about the "whole pelvic" and the high dosage because I thought it would make it harder to avoid collateral damage to the bowels and bladder. It seems my fears were unfounded as I had no real problems during the treatment. I am now 15 days post-treatment. Unless some toxicity shows up later, I would say that I tolerated it very well.
The radiation oncologist and his team did a fabulous job.

Now I simply sit back and pray it was successful.

Tony-

Good to hear from someone with similar experience.

Guess we will just have to wait and pray together...

Menachem

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS