Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: just a bit of advice

Dunny,
I found myself in a similar situation to yours in August of 07.
Biopsy was 4+3 and my prostate was enlarged to about twice normal size.
The main difference was that my PSA was substantially higher at 98.9

My Bone and CT scan came back normal.
My urologist recommended radiotherapy and referred me to a Radiation Oncologist.
I was not sure that I was willing to let go of the surgical option so the oncologist sent me for an MRI to give us a better picture of how far the tumor may have spread. There were some enlarged nodes but no definate sign of metastasis.

It was decided that although there was no absolute proof that the tumor had escaped the prostate, the best course of action would be two months of Hormone Therapy to shrink the tumor, followed by an aggressive course of external radiation (IMRT). The radiation was wide field to encompass the lymph nodes and destroy any micrometastasis that may exist. This was followed by a radiation boost to the prostate only.

In your case, if the CT showed signs of lymph node mets, the default position of the urologist may be to keep you on hormone therapy and call it a day.

I would want to know a lot more about this "slightly abnormal lymphadenopathy".

If I were in your position (and I was) I would insist on a consult with the best radio oncologist available. Then demand an MRI. You need to have a clearer picture of your status to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

You have already been on HT long enough to prepare you for a radiation protocol.

Take charge.

Tony

Re: just a bit of advice

Bear in mind that hormone treatment alone, very rarely if ever gives a complete cure. Together with radiation you stand a good chance of a complete cure.

Lenny Hirsch

Southern Israel

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS