Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EBRT & Antioxydants

My Radiation Oncologist requested during a group information session prior to our treatment regimen that we cease taking antioxidants such as licopene at least 24 hours before each session.
He stated that the licopene works by buffering the cancer cells from the healthy cells. Then it actually interferes with the radiation beam hitting the cancer cells.
Sounds as reasonable an explanation as any other to me.
That would also suggest to me to continue to consume antioxidants as a limitive rather than a preventative or curative. I take licopene caps and keep the green tea growers very busy....

Re: Re: EBRT & Antioxydants

Does anyone have more references for this?
I don't take supplements, but drink a glass of pomegranate juice, eat broccoli sprouts and drink a glass of red wine every day...
Scheduled for ext radiation in another month- would like to be clear on this by then...

Thank you,

Health to all!

Menachem

Menachem,

I have done some research and questioned my oncologist about this.

It is theoretically possible that antioxydants can interfere with the mechanism that radiation uses to kill cancer.

However, it should be stressed that this is only a theory and there have been no studies to prove or disprove this.

There are plenty of doc lining up on both sides of the argument.
In the absence of any proof one way or another, some doctors advise their patients to stay away from antioxydants during radiation, just to err on the side of caution.

My oncologist says he wouldn't worry about what you get in a normal diet.
However, he would not want me to take mega doses of it.

Tony

5 - 8 weeks. Antioxidants to reverse a whole lifetime of exposure to nasty chemicals and your genetics. Not enough time to make any difference. Try and plan your "new life" after the RT. RT doesn't last forever and after RT you can make changes that definitely will affect your well being. Then diet, lifestyle, and eating habits might have some long term effects.

Well... just color me frustrated...
Appreciate your responses.
Diagnosed some 3 months ago, and as the bad results have been coming in, one after another, spent some effort improving my diet. Couldn't stop smoking or eating meat... since I didn't do that before... so started concentrating on adding natural anti-oxidants (don't take supplements either...).
Just started to feel that something was improving (to offset the feeling of something being destroyed by the hormone block)... when I read Tony's post...
Guess I'm not built to sit by passively while being attacked.
Maybe I can be healthy by the time radition starts...

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS