Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dattoli Treatment Center

I have been looking on the internet for information and have talked with Dr. Dattoli about their treatment program. It looks to be targeted to the individual as compared to the urologist I have been seeing advising that I have the Da Vinci prostatectomy.
Was wondering if anyone on this board had any experience or information negative or positive about the Dattoli Center in Sarasota.
Thanks

Re: Dattoli Treatment Center

Dr. Dattoli is an experienced radiation oncologist who's treatment uses brachytherapy, IMRT and hormones, the mix determined by his patient's needs. He has a charismatic personality and his patients become extremely enthusiastic about his treatment. He is among the best in his field but is taken to criticizing other doctors and treatments severely and often inaccurately. Although I do not see an indication on his website now, in the past he has claimed to have treated enormous numbers of patients that some who have tracked his practice over the years claim to be impossible numbers.

Dr. Dattoli claims to have excellent results but has only published 5-year results (along with Kent Wallner, another excellent doctor) for intermediate and high risk patients in peer-reviewed publications. He has not published results for patients with Gleason scores less than 6 and PSA's less than 10, a category into which many of us fell when diagnosed (although I was a Gleason 7).

Most doctors and treatment centers do not publish curative results at all, so Dr. Dattoli is to be applauded for his efforts. ... however a very few others have published results for ALL patients, and with study cohorts of many more men that Dr. Dattoli. In addition they have published 10-year results, which provide a better idea of just how good their respective treatments might be. Among these are Dr. Blasko and his group at the Seattle Prostate Institute and Dr. Critz and his group at Radiotherapy Clinics of Georgia.

I was treated at Radiotherapy Clinics of Georgia starting on January 27, 1998 and have just received my 10 year PSA report. It's undetectable, as it has been for 8 years, so I'm excited. Even more exciting is that fact that I have absolutely no urinary, bowel, or sexual side effects.

Jack Jennings
USA

Re: Dattoli Treatment Center

Thanks Jack,

I have also looked at RCOG and have recently received a informational pack from them. They actually do a reverse treatment from Dattoli, Brachy then IMRT. I have talked with a friend who was treated there 2 years ago. My Gleason is 3+4 PSA 5.6.
Still undecided waiting to see what insurance will cover.
Thanks again

Tom

Re: Re: Dattoli Treatment Center

Tom.

Your stats are almost identical to mine. My PSA was 5.7 and Gleason 7 = 3+4. RCOG has excellent results getting insurance to pay for their treatment because of their proven results.. I had Aetna Healthcare and had less than $200 to pay out of pocket for treatment. Room and board in the Atlanta ares is, however, not cheap, unless you can get into Hop Lodge, which is FREE.,

Jack

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS