Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

Had my pre op meeting at the hospital yesterday I'm now less than one week away from my op. To my surprise I was told that the hospital has only been using the Da Vinci robotic surgery since 1st Dec 07, although they have been using laparoscopic rp surgery since 2003. I originally thought that they had been using the Da Vinci method since 2003. This has now got me worried regarding the experience of the doctors operating the system, can anybody explain the difference between the two systems is the Da Vinci easier to operate than the non robotic laparoscopic surgery.

Re: Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

When I considered Lap or DaVinci, doctor experience seemed to be the big selling point not the method. From what I gleaned one impotant aspect is how long you're gonna be under. Those lacking experience can take upwards of four hours or more, more experienced doctors can usually get it done in under two. Since anesthesia can lead to complications - especially the longer you're under, I'd ask questions if I were you. Good luck (Alaska, USA)
p.s. The guy up here reportedly took at least four hours and that's the main reason I steered clear of it.

Re: Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

I HAD LAPAROOSCOPIC SURGERY DONE IN APRIL OF 2006 TO HAVE A GULL BLADDER REMOVED AND ALL WENT WELL.ALL INSTRUMENTS USED IN THAT SURGERY WAS DONE BY HAND USE.WHICH YOU CAN NOT COMPARE TO GETTING YOUR PROSTATE REMOVED.I HAD MY PROSTATE REMOVED IN OCT OF 06 DONE WITH THEY DAV INCI METHOD.WHICH IS ALL ROBOTIC.THE DOC USES JOY STICKS TO MOVE THE INSTRUMENTS RATHER THAN HIS HANDS. MUCH MORE PRECISE IN MOMENT.THE DOC I HAD DO MINE HAD DONE OVER 1500 WHEN HE DID MINE.BUT BECAUSE HE DID THAT MANY DOES THAT MAKE HIM THE BEST ? SOME PEOPLE DO THINGS NUMEROUS TIMES AND ONLY GET SO GOOD AT IT.

Re: Re: Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

Had mine done at the University of Chicago Hospital the 4th of this month by a surgeon with over 800 da Vinci procedures. During my original consultation I asked him about the time length of the operation and he said he can do them between 90 minutes and two hours. My operation lasted 4 hours and everything went fine but since this is a reaching hospital I just assumed that I was the "subject" of the lesson being taught that day.
Also during the initial consult I I asked him if he would be the only surgeon working on me and he said," Well, you know this is a teaching institution and there will be more than one surgeon in the operating room, but I will do all of the delicate work, like cancer control, nerve preservation and the fine suturing of the urethra to the bladder." So, thinking back on that statement, I am quite sure that some new surgeons took their turns "practicing" on me, hence the extra 2 hours.
The outcome according to the pathologist's report was great, the surgical margins were clean, the cancer was capsule-contained and the lymph nodes were negative for cancer cells.
If your surgeon has done quite a few (hundreds) regular lap procedures I think he would know what doing but if you are not comfortable you should ask him more questions. He may be working together with another surgeon who has a lot of experience with the da Vinci.
Ralph

Re: Re: Re: Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

I've decided to have the traditional surgery. After reading thousands of testimonials, and doing hours of research there is one thing for sure when choosing ANY method:THE SKILL OF THE SURGEON IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR. You only get ONE shot at this. Ask your urologist if maybe you have time time to do just a little more research. Big hospital, experienced surgeon. Good luck. Dave

Re: Re: Laparoscopic rp / Da Vinci

Jim, you say:

“The doc I had do mine had done over 1500 when he did mine. but because he did that many does that make him the best ? Some people do things numerous times and only get so good at it.”

And that’s a very good point. That’s why the advice from old hands in the prostate cancer business is that when choosing a surgeon or radiologist or anyone who is going to treat you, that you not only look at the number of procedures they have done, bit what the outcome was. Good doctors will be only too happy to share this data with you – if they don’t have it, or won’t share it, it is better to look for someone who will.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS