Return to Website

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!

This is a general bulletin board for posting information, resources and questions regarding the dachshund. No listing of dogs for sale allowed. All posts will be removed.

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Getting a little sister for our 2 year old doxie

I have three Dachshund of my own and just took in a 5 month old rescue/foster little boy. (ya 4 wieners!)
I did not have any warning that I would bring home another dog so my first night was a little rough. By the time I got home with him it was almost 10:00 pm! Poor Tucker would move or try to get under the covers and my three would just attack! Never drawing blood or anything but they let him know he was the low boy on the pole! Needless to say he stayed right next to me all night! At least he slept!
The first day I kept my three in one crate and Tucker in his own right in front of them. They could smell and watch without any harm. That first real night with them all my boyfriend and I took them all on a long walk after work. They were all so tired when they got home they all ended up sleeping together. It was awesome!
So a neutral area is a good idea and be sure to take them both on a walk (if possible since puppy cannot get too exposed) Even if it is only walking your older dog it will mellow her out!
They do occasionally put him in his place but they are 2 and a 1/2 Male, 2 year old female and a 1 year old female. So he is just a puppy to train in their eyes!
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. I have been taking in rescues and aggressive dogs for years!

Re: Re: Re: Getting a little sister for our 2 year old doxie

Wow, I'm glad you cleared that up.....

Looks like you'll do fine in getting a pup. Just remember to do intros slow and be sure to give them separate down times. I know when I brought a pup into the home the older dog got tired of all the puppy foolishness so they needed separate places to rest.

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful. Make sure the pup has her own crate, toys and food bowl etc.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_dog.html

http://www.raisingspot.com/adopting/introducing_puppy_to_pets.php

Good luck and let us know how it goes.